Rigging In Churches

James

Can anyone recomend stands that are stable for putting up on stairs?

This is for a church that has a raked balcony where cantilevering bars of the front of the balcony is too low to be useful.

Any ideas?

You could do something with those funky ladders you sometimes see adverts for in catalogues like Innovations, the ones which have 3 sections and can be made to have a flat platform on stairs etc..., but to be honest I think Ben's idea of making your own will probably be most cost effective (talk nicely to a local scaffolder, and if its a church gig the chances are you can blag some very cheap scaff...)

I would agree that making your own is a great idea. It would also be a good idea to try and add a base plate to trhe stand on one of the steps, so that you can put some stage weights on the bottom to counter the weight of the lights.

Dazzler

To make a short stand:-

Go to local steel stockist and "acquire" a short length of RSJ 18" or so.

Invert hook clamp into the the wide bit (not the top/bottom flange)

Weld in place.

Instant(ish) short stand.

You could chop a bit of RSJ out from above the grid in your theatre, but I wouldn't recomend it!

Archived