New PA For School Hall

GazBar

My School has decided to upgrade the very underpowerd PA system. The budget is about £1500 maybe a little more. The hall seats about 300. It is currently not used very much but hopefully with a decent PA and some new lighting will be used for band nights, shows etc. I know thats a bit sketchy but any reccomendations of decent gear in that price range and suppliers would be felpful.

Thanks in advance

Garry

I'm not recommending any kit but maybe giving some food for thought . In recent years I have done a few functions in a local school hall . These have ranged from the local flower arranging club through masqued balls to battle of the bands . The one thing they all had in common , apart from the venue was they all required different PA's . My advice would be to buy a PA that will get the most use e.g . if you plan to do more shows that bands get a PA that suits the shows and then hire in for the bands . For a hall that size you would need 2 - 3Kw for bands and with your budget that is less than £1 per watt which isn't much . I would be tempted to go for a pair of good active speakers (Mackie,EV to name bit 2) and a powered sub that can be used as and when . A system like this should cope with most senarios but may struggle a bit against a band with the back line turned up to 11 .

Basically we have a decent system up untill the amp / cabs and thats what we are replacing. We currently have a 120w system that I have very nearly blown up on a few occasions.

Since starting last september I have hired in a few times mostly mackie srm's and they have done the job quite well. We have 2 C300's at the moment wich are ok but the little aus monitor amp is being retired. Im just looking for the basics of a system that can be expanded over the next few years.

This system is quite a nice little package, about your size range and you could upgrade later! It is also £200 under your budget, which you could spend on other little odds and ends!

You could of course go second hand, and get quite a nice system for your price range!

HTH

Rich

Archived