Lighting Cue's

oliverh

Guest lightnix

A more detailed question would be helpful, but I'll have a quick stab (as opposed to a pop ;) )...

On a theatre show, all cues are normally called by the Deputy Stage Manager (DSM)

In advance of a cue, a Standby will be given, the syntax for this is: "Standby [Department], [Q No.]..."

Each department acknowledges their Standby with: "[Department] standing by".

When the Go for cue is given, the syntax is: [Department], [Q No.]... Go.

i.e. ...

When giving a Standby, you say "Standby" first.

When giving a Go, you say "Go" last.

You must acknowledge your Standbys.

I know that might seem obvious to many, but there are several others out there who have yet to cotton on, especially outside Theatre.

Standbys and Gos can be given to more than one department and for more than one cue at a time. At start of a typical theatre show, you might hear something like this over the cans...

DSM: OK everybody, we have Front of House clearance... Standby LX Cues 1-3, Sound Cue 1 and Fly Cues 1 & 2

departments acknowledge

LX Cue 1 and Fly Cue 1... Go

action...

LX Cue 2... Go

action...

LX Cue 3, Sound Cue 1 and Fly Cue 2... Go

action...

LX Cue 4... Go. Standby Sound Cue 2

sound acknowledges

...etc.

Did that help? :stagecrew:

as opposed to a pop

A pop would have been "Don't use text language!" as opposed to helping him by directing him to a thread where he can read how to post properly.

Standby LX Cues 1-3, Sound Cue 1 and Fly Cues 1 & 2

departments acknowledge

Or more common in most modern books;

DSM: "Standby LX Cues 1 - 3"

LX OP: "Standing-by"

DSM: "Sound Cue 1"

SND OP: "Standing-by"

DSM: "And fly cues 1 & 2"

FLYS: "Standing-by"

DSM: "Thank You" ....

DSM: "LX Cue 1 & Fly Cue 1 .. GO"

action

DSM: "LX Cue 2 .. GO"

action

DSM: "Sound Cue 1 .. GO"

etc.

Another tip, if there is a long fade or its a subtle change for instance, that the DSM may not be able see/ hear then it may be neccessary for the Op. to reply with "Executed" after the DSM has given the cue.

Sam

PS - A topic move to stage management due maybe??

Are you, perhaps, refering to the phraseology of what lighting cues actually do?

I just wondered if you meant, for example:

Full stage/half stage wash

Head and shoulders spot

Full up finish (FUF)

Button Q (on the last note of the music - usually a Q to get suddenly brighter, but sometimes a snap blackout [qv])

Snap blackout (blackout in 0")

Bleed (Bring up lights behind a gauze to magically reveal someone/thing appearing there)

Follow-on (as soon as the first fade completes, go on the next cue)

etc.

Perhaps you could enlighten us as to what you meant in your original post - to make sure we're answering the right question. :stagecrew:

[P.S. The plural of cue is cues not cue's - see Eats, Shoots and Leaves for further info!!]

Aha! Hopefully that has now been answered for you.

I notice from your profile that you are 11, going on 12. It's great that you are interested in lighting so young, so keep asking as many questions as you want at every possible opportunity (not just here but at theatres and so on too). I didn't start to get interested in technical theatre until I was about 14 and I'm doing OK, so with an extra couple of years' interest you could well have a very bright future ahead. :stagecrew:

• 3 weeks later...

Lx (lighting) cues for stage products I assume, firstly are you using a cue light from the DSM (deputy stage manager)? If so this provides a back up visual cue. A red light appears, you press a button as you say "stand by" or "standing by" and then as DSm sayins "cue...# G.O" then green light appears, and you press g.o on your desk, or however your desk works, what desk is it? this rule applies for fly operatives, sound cues, on stage technician cues (often smoke) etc.

Wil

Ah you are the DSM? saying the cues? didn't read that reply. On the book (script) you will mark the correct cue often "Q 1 - preset" "Q2 - SL wash" (stage left wash) etc. When this time comes, a few lines before the cue over cans(intercom system) then if cue lights used press appropriate button. If you encounter any problems, then feel free to email me. sg5will@hotmail.com

I am 17 now, have been a DSM and lighting operator since I was younger than you, and I know how my first time was, and it can be terrifying! so do not hesitate to email me.

Wil

Lx (lighting) cues for stage products I assume,

What does that mean?

firstly are you using a cue light from the DSM (deputy stage manager)? If so this provides a back up visual cue.

No, normally the DSM will either give a verbal cue over cans or a cue light if access to cans is difficult for the operator. It's rare to give both.

A red light appears, you press a button as you say "stand by" or "standing by" and then as DSm sayins "cue...# G.O" then green light appears, and you press g.o on your desk, or however your desk works, what desk is it? this rule applies for fly operatives, sound cues, on stage technician cues (often smoke) etc.

The correct term for a "stage technician" is Stage Electrics (e.g. smoke, pyro, haze etc. operator)

When this time comes, a few lines before the cue over cans(intercom system)

Again, this makes no sense - I think you missed out some words.

then if cue lights used press appropriate button. If you encounter any problems, then feel free to email me. sg5will@hotmail.com

I am 17 now, have been a DSM and lighting operator since I was younger than you, and I know how my first time was, and it can be terrifying! so do not hesitate to email me.

Wil

Wil, with all due respect your offer of help is a kind one, but you admit to being 17 on a discussion board populated by many professionals with years of experience, some of whom have already answered this question correctly. You are right to bring up the subject of cue lights, which hadn't been mentioned before in this thread, but you also include some information which is NOT industry standard, thus clouding the water for the original poster.

Lightnix's description above is generally acecpted as the industry standard way of calling cues (at least in the UK). Cue lights can be used instead of the words "stand-by, standing-by and "go", but they are used in every other way exactly as above.

I hope the original poster finds that helps.

Archived