Laser - safety & licences?

rick@slick

Hi, I've just bought a double red laser (2x60mW) from ebay from some nice people called Pure Lightwho are obviously making their own and doing a pretty good job of it.

Laser is super cool, DMX-able and I got a really good deal on it.

Thing is, it didn't come with any safety info, although I''ve read a bit from http://www.ela.org.uk/ so am learning fast.

What I was wondering was, do you need a licence for these things?

I understand that they should be projected above the audience, not onto them, but our unit is 180 degree range.

If it is used with a glitterball (I don't care if you think theya re tacky :P) then will the reflected beams do the same damage as the initial ones?

I think the website you mentioned is probably the best source of info.

As far as I know, that power is relatively safe (to a certain extent). The safeness very much depends on the scanning frequency (or wavelength - I can never remember).

Have you contacted the manufacturers - they should have some more details.

Have you got the ebay link?

Hi Rick

Typically, you need to complete an HSG 95 (display notification) and risk assessments for all permanent and temporary Laser installations.

We manufacture and use 1.7W + DPSS laser systems, so this is far greater an issue than it will be to you.

However - you need to be aware of the "Beam Power Density" equation that states that a laser beam that at the point of the laser reaching the floor (either directly, of via any mirrored surface) it shall be no greater than 1mW/cm squared, to conform with H&S regulations/recommendations.

This pretty much cancels out any use of crowd scanning with any laser of worth.

I think it's fair to assume that many Laser operators from non-reputable nor professional companies will not actually be aware of this. Even if they are, it tends to get ignored as this does seriously restrict what you can achieve in most venues that would use a system of your power (ceiling height etc).

All this considered (though this is definitely not fact), you'll probably have no issues with flying effects (flat scan, tunnel etc) into the crowd with your system.

Do not shoot straignt beams into the crowd any lower than 2.8m above highest lowest point (i.e. dancers podiums, stage etc).

We run training courses to become an ELA approved operator that covers H&S issues and it's always worth having public liability insurance (though we have never had a serious problem in 25 years).

Sorry that this is a little hazy, but that's just the way that this area is.

Just be aware of the possible issues and consider these when putting on a responsible show.

Hope this helps.

Luke

p.s. - Mirror balls are certainly not tacky when it comes to Lasers. They are virtual Law!!

James, the link to the people who sold me the laser is (mid_country_entertainments):

http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrpp...fentertainments

I've just had a look at what they're selling now and I think that they maybe they have learnt a lesson :P They started up this January - they had no feedback at all when I came across them, and had started everything at 0.99p - I got my 2x 60mW laser for ... £127.00! (+£20 pP&P)

They've started using buy-it-now I see. Based in Doncaster. Nice people.

They make all their auctions private but here is the detail:

"Double Red Laser 120mW (DMX) (60mW x 2)

POWER IT UP & WATCH AS THE INBUILT SOUND TO LIGHT CONTINUALLY SWITCHES & MOVES THE DISPLAY IN SEQUENCE TO THE MUSIC WITH A MULTITUDE OF CREATIVE EFFECTS ALL IN ONE SMALL PACKAGE. OR DMX CAN BE USED TO MAKE YOUR OWN EFFECTS.

THE LASER HAS A RECOMMENDED RETAIL PRICE OF £299.99

SPECIFICATIONS

· CONSTRUCTED FROM EXTRUDED ALUMINIUM

· POWER OUTPUT 60mW x 2

· COLOUR RED

· SPEED CONTROL - YES

· PATTERN MEMORY - YES

· INBUILT MIC – YES

· DMX - YES"

-----------------------------------------

Luke, thanks for all that information, really useful. Also nice to know that mirroballs are ok ;)

I finally looked around the ELA site this morning and found this bit: http://www.ela.org.uk/myth.htm which has a lot of answers to my questions too, but was good to get a more personal practical view.

Archived