LED Video/Display Screens

LDODD

I'm looking to get hold of an installation quality 4x6m LED screen for a live venue.

I hear that 10-16mm pitch should suffice, though I also understand that the driving is also a major factor with resolution.

Are there any resident experts?

Cost is undefined at this stage (which is a great help, I'm sure....)

Hey,

What pixel pitch you want / need is really dependant on the distance from the screen to the audience, or viewing public, you will need a few meters of space for the picture to become viewable. What kind of space do you have around the intended site of the screen? A few more details about the venue would help any one who can offer you more in-depth advice.

Marc

As Marc has said the viewing distance is one of the critical aspects. With 10mm you need a good few metres- having used it outdoors, it got 'comfortabe' at about 8m+. I'd say indoor you'd be looking towards a 7mm product, if not lower, but this then increases the cost.

Would another option be the new Plasma walls that have a very small bezel do the job? I think the bezel between two units when built is in the region of 1mm. It might be a more cost effective solution.

I like the like big LED screens they are using as digital billboards at the big railway stations in London , to see them is to fall in love, I want, I want, I want!

I hate to think how much they cost though! They also claim they are not based on LED but "Passive Image Transmitter (PIT)" so they can be viewed up close, but as far as I'm concerned it just looks like LED!

• 5 months later...
not sure what the going rates are nower days but we were getting 25mm pix pitch 4m x 6m for about 5grand inc support system (24sqm screen weight was about 1 tonne inc motors - not always feasible to hang on club lighting truss) higher res is prob gonna b more expensive I would imagine but its been a while.... plasma walls are painful in the same respect as video walls - each unit needs to be colour balanced individually which is time consuming and an 84" plas weighs around 100kgs.

I spent last week in Brighton working alongside the same screen as used on X Factor and Sport relief. Toshiba 8mm Pitch LED, which is fantastic. As mentioned above you need to give about 1m for mm of pitch for viewing distance. But with the Tosh I was sat at about 3m from a 10'x7'6" equivalent screen, and although pixelated, it wasn't hard to watch.

For something like in indoor club, 25mm will be too course, and might work as an effect, but be to low res for watching video on.

I'm looking to get hold of an installation quality 4x6m LED screen for a live venue.

Have you thought about aspect ratio yet? 4x6m - very nice, where does one get 3:2 video that looks ok? (as opposed to 4:3 or 16:9)

What is it actually for, and can you really not use a projector and a bling screen?

• 4 weeks later...
I spent last week in Brighton working alongside the same screen as used on X Factor and Sport relief. Toshiba 8mm Pitch LED, which is fantastic. As mentioned above you need to give about 1m for mm of pitch for viewing distance. But with the Tosh I was sat at about 3m from a 10'x7'6" equivalent screen, and although pixelated, it wasn't hard to watch.

For something like in indoor club, 25mm will be too course, and might work as an effect, but be to low res for watching video on.

HI I was the OP for the screen on sports relief and its a Tosh 6mm and it is fantastic, chromatec have a similar product as well, 6mm is great for indoors, but both are quite expensive but both dont tollerate ANY abuse at all, you musnt touch it with bare hands (the grease from your hands can discolour the individual pixels and equally the slightest impacts will know the contrast grills off or even worse the led out) so they are very sensetive to environment, and can only be cleaned with chenicals a limited number of times.

Archived