Rigging and Curtain Suppliers

jimk

We are currently building a theatre in Moscow that will have 28 manual counterweight sets. It has been suggested that we should install some form of barrier between the stage area and the rigging - is this common in theaters? The ones I have looked at here do not have a barrier but Moscow is not too well known for safety issues!

Three topics merged - B

We will be purchasing a full set of curtains for a new theatre in Moscow soon and I would like some recommendations for suppliers in the UK. The client is a school owned jointly by the US and UK Governments hence a preference for either a UK or US supplier.

I am willing to consider other countries though as price is an issue as always.

We are about to decide who to purchase our stage rigging system from (28 set manual counterweight), at the moment one of the contenders is JR Clancy from the US. Has anyone any experience of them, and views that they could share?

We will also be installing a fire curtain, also considering Clancy's straight lift version.

The theatre is in Moscow, Russia.

If there are other manufacturers that people can recommend I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

We will be purchasing a full set of curtains for a new theatre in Moscow soon and I would like some recommendations for suppliers in the UK.

Blackout should definitely be on your list of suppliers to check out, imo.

(I do a bit of freelance work for them now and again, but not enough to make me too biased. :o)

Sean

x

• 4 weeks later...

A bit late maybe, but being a Msk resident I cannot resist mentioning few things:

Вarriers between sets and stage area are required by all possible russian regulations. I have book at hand dated by 1998 - it's all there.

As for sets suppliers.. If price is an issue (as always), why not start searching among Moscow based companies...

Just an idea..

Cheers

I would have thought that all the soft materials would be better sourced locally - certainly the price would be much better. The barrier problem. Do you mean that the counterweight system is operated from stage level, and you need some sort of barrier to stop unauthorised people getting behind it? If so a simple 1m high solid barrier would surely do the job. Plenty of UK theatres have this style of separator.

I would have thought that all the soft materials would be better sourced locally - certainly the price would be much better. The barrier problem. Do you mean that the counterweight system is operated from stage level, and you need some sort of barrier to stop unauthorised people getting behind it? If so a simple 1m high solid barrier would surely do the job. Plenty of UK theatres have this style of separator.
to paulears 1 m high solid barrier does not do the job because:

a)It's too low - even a child can get behind it and reach the ropes. It's supposed to be a school theatre, remember?

b)According to russian rules the barrier should be floor - 1st gallery high and made with 20x20mm mesh. The reason for it to be so high is clear - the barrier should withstand props that could be leant upon it.

Edit:- Quote fixed

So when you say barrier, you mean the ropes and cradles behind mesh? Sorry, I thought you had the operators at ground level with the brakes, and just needed to separate the flymen from the other stage crew and cast.

The Russian rules are great, and make sense, especially with kids around. For some reason I thought you didn't have a fly gallery.

Oddly, my own theatre has stage level brakes, and stage level loading/unloading - and doesn't have any encasement of the cradles - AND has a brand new inspection certificate.

Archived