How to achieve an effect

neff

The school I work for is staging Grease in about 4 weeks time. As part of the set they want to be able to highlight the edges of about 6 8*4 flats with thin blue lighting that stays on all the way through the performance. I had thought about using blue rope lights but they want a continuous line and thinnner than rope lights.

I don't really want to break the bank in doing this effect but I do need the effect to look good.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Chris

Guest lightnix

Have a look at Electroluminescent Wire (a.k.a. EL-wire / EL fibre). Probably the best place to go for it is AS&C CooLight in the States - they ship quickly and their prices are keen (although don't forget to add VAT + Duty (= around 22%-ish), which you will probably have to pay to the courier before they let you have it. There are a few sites in the UK that do it, but they don't have the same range of accessories and are frequently more expensive.

EL wire is driven by an inverter, which converts a small DC voltage into 120VAC at a very low current and a very high frequency; the higher the frequency, the brighter the glow. The inverters are small affairs, typically run by 4x AA batteries. EL wire is also much, cheaper than ropelight.

The downside is that it's very fiddly to solder up (hair-thin wires) and doesn't have anything like the life of LEDs or pea lamps. The "working life" of EL wire quoted on most websites is the time it takes for the wire to dim to 1/3rd of its "when new" intensity. The brighter you run it, the shorter the working life - as little as a few hundred hours if driven at 8kHz. It probably won't stand out against intense stage / ambient light levels, but can look very cool if kept "in the shadows".

I was also thinking of Electroluminescent Wire (lightnix beat me to it).

I also have the same concerns, primarily that it might not be bright enough for your needs.

UV blue paint with a UV gun?

I'd allready thought pf UV but the problem with that is (even though I have UV lamps coming out of my ears!) the amount of white that is on the set allready and on the costumes - I don't want to have the UV effect on the rest of the set.

I do however like the look of the Neon Glow Tent Kits on Surelight

Cheers for the replys!

EL Wire is a pretty good way to go. The only other method that I can think of off the top of my head is end lit plastic fiber. A couple of companies specialize in it (Luminyte is the only one I can think of off the top of my head). It is not as bright as EL Wire, but you can change color and it is good for situations where EL Wire might raise safety concerns.

-jjf

I'd suggest a true RGB colour mixing fibre illuminator rather than the QFX150s - I've had some very bad experiences with the QFX150s.

(Right now both units are sat in the workshop waiting for parts from Martin)

If you spin the colour wheel or move it too fast on the QFX units they tend to get out of sync and then fail to go back to the home position, and the fault that sent them to the workshop was a tendency to open the dimmer to full and spin the colour wheel without being told to.

The twinkle wheel doesn't really do much either, although it's a nice idea.

At least an RGB illuminator will tend to fail more gracefully.

Archived