Wireless Headphones

Dick The Cabin Boy

Morning Boys and Girls

I'm seriously considering purchasing a pair of wireless headphones simply for the convenience of being able to walk around the back of the rack and start randomly pluging and tugging whilst monitoring channels on the desk and all without the need for three miles of headphone lead ending up wrapped round my body. :blink:

Has anyone had any experience with wireless headphones and if so got any tips for where to invest my hard earned cash??

Cheers :blink:

Dick

well you can get 2 types of wireless headphones.

infra red which require a line of sight, which may not be a good choice if you are walking around behind racks etc...

the other type is radio frequency, with these you can walk anywherw tihin the given range, but you might have problems with frequencies crossing with radio mics, and if your walking around rack where there are lots of power cables/signal cables, it could degrade the signal a bit.

the former types are usually the less expensive, thus the need for a line of sight, the latter are the expensive option. for they use radio transmitters and are mroe open to radio emissions and interfearence.

it all really depends on what you are after really, if your rack are in the line of sight from your desk the infra red should be ok, if not I'd go for the rf sets.

it all relies around the position of your racks and how much you can afford really.

a good set of infra red headphones cost around £20-£40

a good set of rf headphones cost around £35-£60

Matt.

Sennheiser do a nice transmitter for which you can get headphones (used them on a few BBC radio events), think it's a vhf system, good range not too much interference, other systems can suffer from a lot of dropouts, and lose all quality if you move your head too fast! However, if you're serious about sound get an in ear monitor system with integrated earplugs to protect your hearing. Worth their weight in gold if you're doing monitor engineer onstage.

Owen

Yeah I'm definately going to go for the RF option and having just checked out sennheiser's site they're headsets are switchable between two or three frequencies so I should manage to find room for them...

Has anyone used sennheiser's wireless headsets?? They're claiming a 300ft range on them but I find that hard to believe.

well with the rf frequency headphones I always knock about 50 feet of of the actual rating they give, but thats just as a safety margin when walking around etc...

the multi freq is a good idea though, so it dont interfeare with mics etc... go for it if they are what you are looking for

Archived