Classical Statues

timmiddleton

Hi

The school I work at puts on a "Classics play" every Easter, and this year they are sticking with the original setting rather than their normal modern versions. This means I need two or three statues of classical gods on podiums (or podia I suppose!). I think I've seen a polystyrene podium for sale but I need to get some gods! Any ideas for where I could find some?? This is for the first week of May so its a while off yet but I think it's worth looking now!

oh and they only need to be about 7ft tall including the podium.

Tim

If it is a school play... Make them yourself.

Talk to the art deparment about getting some students to body cast (you need to really know what you are doing when you do the front/face). Then you need to create the 'statue', add hair, and dress in a toga etc. You can make them (the clothes and hair) stiff by soaking them in plaster (or other substace that hardens), fixing them to statue and alowing to dry.

Just a few tips - use a slow drying alginate, or use plaster bandages. Dont try doing it with a 'bath' of plaster, and cast them out of fibreglass not plaster (plaster would weigh a tonne)

Do things like cast the cast members, or the director. They would make a great present at the end of the show ;-)

We borrowed some statues from a local architectural antiques warehouse once. Weighed a ton though and weren't really the best thing on stage. We couldn't move them for scene changes so we had to work round them. Hadn't heard of SWL or manual handling regulations then either.

Archived