Audience + Sparklers =

James C

Just had a chat with a friend who has been told they can't give sparklers to audience members before they come in. Any suggestions? Is there such a thing as a non-spark-throwing, self-extinguishing sparkler? Ladies & Gents, all suggestions and thoughts welcome - madcap or otherwise...

Hmmm......bit of a dodgy one that, only way that I can see to get round it - is to do a risk assessment and put in preventative measures such as only adults are allowed the sparklers, buckets of sand available to put the sparklers in once they have extinguished and lots of fire extinguishers / fire officers on duty.....still think it could be very dodgy though!!! Would be interested to know the outcome as this is the kind of thing my students would come up with for thier productions!!

this is the kind of thing my students would come up with for thier productions!!

Sort of know the feeling - it breaks my heart letting the 8-11 year-olds know that they can't have "hundreds" of candles (or, indeed, any) onstage with them in our Youth Theatre projects!

Guest lightnix
There are all sorts of blinky-winky glowing things around these days which can be quite cheap if bought in sufficient quantities. They'll last a lot longer than sparklers too.

It's illegal to give spaklers to kids under 5 years of age as far as I'm aware. One alternative are fibre optic torches which are kinda pretty and very cheap.

Kite Corner in London (020 8959 0619) do a huge range of fireworks and other odds and ends like fibre optic torches. They also do indoor sparklers for putting on cakes which might be a little more lisencing officer friendly :huh:

• 3 weeks later...

Glow sticks maybe?

I can understand why rules and regulations are in place, but you can't deny that it's a bit of a downer when you can't have even the tiniest candle- it really REALLY spoils the effect when you have to compromise.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest lightnix
Glow sticks maybe?

Not so bad on the H&S front, but horribly environmentally unfriendly, the light being produced by a charming mixture of hydrogen peroxide, phenyl oxalate ester (whatever that is) and a fluorescent dye.

They're not much fun if the liquid gets out either. The tiniest amount in the eyes causes excrutiating pain and it can react flammably with some modern materials.

Archived