Large XGA plasma screens

Hambone

I did a site survey for an upcoming gig, and I can't fit my 8' x 6' projector screens and the 9' needed behind the screens for rear projection into the room.

I'm looking at the feasibility of using a pair of 50-60" plasma screens for smaller venues. However, all of my video is rendered XGA 4:3, so I don't want 16:9 displays with the stretched or black-bar look, nor do I need a video wall solution. For larger venues, I'll use the projectors (until the large-format OLEDs hit the market!)

Anyone have any experience with these? All I really want are a pair large XGA monitors with DVI input.

Cheers!

PSL in Birmingham did at one point have some 4:3 aspect ratio Plasma's, which it might well be possible to tile into a 2x2 to give a decent sized screen but with a fairly big bezel. They might be about 2' square iIRC. I think DB Systems in Pershore do too, but PSL might be a bit cheaper.

www.presservgroup.com

I did a site survey for an upcoming gig, and I can't fit my 8' x 6' projector screens and the 9' needed behind the screens for rear projection into the room.

I'm probally being a bit thick but why don't you front-project with the projector off-axis to one side and use the horizontal keystone as well as the usual vertical (if your projector supports it)

...I can't fit my 8' x 6' projector screens and the 9' needed behind the screens for rear projection...

...why don't you front-project with the projector off-axis...

That is an option, but I prefer rear-projection for a number of reasons. I can square up the projector to the screen to avoid keystoning, which can smear the image. I output Arkaos VJ at the projector's native 1024 x 768, so every pixel is mapped one to one. I don't want the projectors out near the dance floor, either. And I've only got rear-projection screens for my Da-Lite Fastfolds!

or how about MultiSync WT610...

I did look at the WT610, but the contrast and brightness across the screen varied considerably from top to botton. It's quite pricey, too. It's a great idea, though.

I think I'll just pick up a pair of smaller rear-projections screens for now. I do plan on eventually transitioning into 16:9, which really seems the future.

Thanks for the help!

Archived