Another wireless mic topic!

Rich newby

Hi Again guys, sorry if this has already been done, but I did use the search function and could not find anything exact.

I am looking into some wireless mics, to upgrade my P.A system. I would like 2 lavalier, and 2 handhelds, for £800ish. I was mainly looking at the JTS range. ( no doubt we will see that pic from pete adcock again :rolleyes: ) O was also looking at some of the akg wms gear off thomann. Is there anything else out there, that looks and sounds good.

Cheers

Rich

This is only doable by using fairly low grade equipment. The AKG system will be alright, and will work OK, but it comes in with a fixed frequency, so you couldn't use all four mikes together as AKG only offer them on three different frequencies.

I personally like the Trantec Equipment, but this will be of course over your budget.

You can buy Trantec S4.5 UHF mikes (including receiver) for:

• Handheld System (S4.5MD) - 209+VAT
  • Lapel mike (S4.5LM) - £227+VAT

This makes a total of: £872 +VAT (which is £1024).

This is therefore fairly significantly over your initial budget. However, this system will last you well, sound good , and it can be used licence free in the UK. But, as with all lapel mikes the capsule is liable to break.

Hopes this helps a bit . :rolleyes:

Richard S

(All prices taken from the latest Studio Spares catalogue.)

Yer this is what I'm worried about. I just got £3k and I'm using £2.2 of it to totally upgrade my light rig (mainly on 4x Zero88 betapaks), so the rest is going to be put to mics. I may save up a bit more, and get some akg wms400's, I have hired many times, and I love them. Is this JTS stuff any good at all. It wont get used that much, and mainly for people presenting things like to introduce dancers ect. Possibly for a bit of theatre work. But I'm using my SM58's for live and gigs. And my samson CO1's for small recording stuff. This was just and after though, and mainly just speech, no vocal.

Cheers

Rich

[RANT MODE] Doesn't anybody price gear before establishing budgets anymore? It seems like every second post these days is somebody saying "I have £800 to spend and need 4 radio mics. Find me something cheap that fits."

Of course the only thing wrong with this approach is that quality and/or features are inevitably compromised.

I assume that the light rig upgrade is urgent enough to justify the cost split specified...but wouldn't you be better off with fewer, better mics?

[END RANT MODE]

Bob

The OP wants two handhelds and two lavs... Are these to be used at the same time? What about buying two handheld 'kits' and adding a pair of lavs on matching or adjustable frequencies? Its what I have done as I seldom (never) need both types at the same time. Not at work, so no prices!

<snip>

It wont get used that much, and mainly for people presenting things like to introduce dancers ect. Possibly for a bit of theatre work. But I'm using my SM58's for live and gigs. And my samson CO1's for small recording stuff. This was just and after though, and mainly just speech, no vocal.

I personally find it takes more skill and effort to get speech sounding natural and intelligible than handling musical vocals....

Bob

Archived