Yamaha M7CL

ghance

Mark is right, Saturday was the first time I ever used the m7cl at all. I didn't even get a tinker as PLASA as I couldn't get near enough for all the other interested people! I had no problem moving the patching around at all (I wouldn't recommend looking at the final scene setup Mark - you'll think I went mad!) and the desk did all that I asked of it. Having not used both desks in the same environment I couldn't say if the 5d sounds better than the m7cl but at I would say the lower latency at 96kHz would be an advantage for ears monitoring. In an ideal world the 5d would have 6 card slots not 4 as I've said before elsewhere. Then you could do a 96kHz system from pre's on stage to DSP all on AES/EBU. I have to admit I'm probably quite demanding of interfaces - I get impatient with Quad Processor servers for delays using them! Perhaps I'm just intolerant of being slow. I often find I can do things faster on both Windows and Mac using key cuts and commands in lieu of the mouse - same with the m7 vs the 5d, I feel I could diddle controls on the 5d faster with knobs than the touch screen. I'm told that I was zipping through the touch screen pretty fast at times though so maybe it's just in my mind.

I think Yamaha have a very real advantage in the console market currently and they need to maintain that lead, which in my book means taking the 1d to 96kHz, the 5d to having the option of completely remote pre's with none on board (I would think the preamps internally communicate via AES much the same as the AD8HRs). I think the non -RH 5d may disappear because you can't store head amp settings, which is fairly fundamental to a transferrable setup, though it is probably better for a one off type thing. The other desks in the Yamaha range fill their niche's nicely, and the 01v96 is a lovely little desk that can quite happily replace most small desks. People like CADAC and Midas are going to have trouble to some extent with their desk when it comes to market simply because they are now a decade or more behind Yamaha in market penetration and acceptance. The Innovason range don't exactly make much penetration, and Digico only have a few high end players in the market. Here's hoping there's room for all the players. And what are Soundcraft doing about going digital?

Regards

Chris

• 1 year later...

Hello all. I tour with a Texas-based band over 200 dates a year. We've been traveling with the M7CL 48 channel desk since March. It's absolutely amazing and user friendly! I had previously been on the 5D, and can honestly say I like the M7 better. The console lives on deck and I mix FOH via wireless tablet. (Panasonic Toughbook) I have two channels per input, one channel for FOH and one for IEMs. There's been several occasions where we cant get a sound check in...so I just pull up a saved scene and throw and go!

Something that I can't get a clear answer on is how, if possible, to expand to more channels. Is there a card that will provide a "flip" mode or something similar? For example, is there a way to turn channel 1 into 49? Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Philip

You can only physically control 48 (plus st) channels at any one time.

there is nothing to say you can't have more channels using the expansion boards, and different scenes patch different physical inputs to different soft inputs using more than your 48 but at any given time on a particular scene you can only use your 48.

I think........

now onto my question which expands on this slightly..... what if you were to pair channels? could you assign intput 1, 25 and 49 (where 49 is the first channel of an expansion board where you patch this channel as a board input) as you'd be controlling them as 1 channel. Perhaps...Perhaps not, we'll let someone who's used the desk more than me answer.

Sorry guys no...

The M7CL has enough DSP to allow 48 controlling mono channels with an additional 4 stereo controlling channels.

You can expand the number of possible inputs beyond 48 channels but you cannot controll them all (beyond 48M +4S)

Adding inputs to an M7CL beyond 48 channels is like having a 64 channel multicore but only a 48 channel console. To use one of the stage lines beyond 48, you are going to have to pull one of the others out. You do this on the patch screens of the M7CL.

This is however NOT true of the LS9/32 which has enough DSP for control of 64 channels plus the stereos.

Hope this helps.

Mark

You can only physically control 48 (plus st) channels at any one time.

there is nothing to say you can't have more channels using the expansion boards, and different scenes patch different physical inputs to different soft inputs using more than your 48 but at any given time on a particular scene you can only use your 48.

I think........

now onto my question which expands on this slightly..... what if you were to pair channels? could you assign intput 1, 25 and 49 (where 49 is the first channel of an expansion board where you patch this channel as a board input) as you'd be controlling them as 1 channel. Perhaps...Perhaps not, we'll let someone who's used the desk more than me answer.

Having used the PM1D, PM5D, and M7CL quite extensivly (I mainly use the M7CL and PM5D) I would definately say the following:

- The M7 doesnt sound squished. However, if your used to an analogue processor/console thats intorducing a fair amount of coloration to the sound and then you jump on an M7 you can definately hear the predictable precision of the Type 1 EQ, but thats not 'squishing', just a very clean accurate EQ!

- Ive never used a 5D and an M7 side by side so I cant A-B but the AD8HR preamp does sound better than the M7 inbuilt pre's to my ears, but its certainly not a difference you could pick out of a 48 channel mix, only on closer inspection.

- The effects definately sound better in the 5D, I like to stick to outboard reverbs on an M7.

- forgetting audio quality and I/o configuration for a moment and presented with just the 3 UIs (1D, 5D, M7), the M7 is the one I'd pick any day.

So for me id love an M7 with outboard FX and an optocore snake with AD8HRs on the end. Maybe one day I'll have my wish! ;)

Looking back at it, my use of the word squished was probably a little ambiguous, I was trying to describe the slight, defiently subjective lack of dynamic range, and a feeling of the sound being "harder" on the ears over the 5D, but then you would hope that this would be so, with the price difference.

• 2 years later...
Looking back at it, my use of the word squished was probably a little ambiguous, I was trying to describe the slight, defiently subjective lack of dynamic range, and a feeling of the sound being "harder" on the ears over the 5D, but then you would hope that this would be so, with the price difference.

Be sure to make sure that your headroom is still there.

The Digital and Analog Gain Structure is a little hard to get used to (visually)...

When it comes to the colour of the sound, I removed my DBX 2231 and noticed a huge improvement and ran her straight. The onboard EQ and DACs sound very smooth.

By the way, I ABed it between a Soundcraft 2k and the M7. M7 won.

The natural color of the console is a very mellow, tapey sound.

ABs are very impressive, you should get one setup.

It's funny that you're bringing this up, because I have to say that I was very impressed with the sound that she puts out. Check your gain structure...

Also: If you want to pull up the Head a little more and pull it back down in the strip's EQ (so you can crack the fader without killing everyone). This helps your Ins sound a little richer by hitting the ADC a little harder. Just don't overdrive the input.

Have fun,

She's a good girl.

Fincher,

Good to hear you are getting good results with your M7, but stand by my "hard sound" comments, and have a - b'd the desk with others, and would rather listen to and a&h gl than the m7 for long periods, but it does a great job, is very much commercially acceptable in terms of sound, and she is a good girl, though, have to say, doesn't look good in a dress!

Archived