Bombardment Effect

kmarston

hi all...

I'm designing a show currently that has a first world war bombing scene taking place upstage (mostly sound and lighting despendent) that will need to be enhanced with some pyro effects. my crew and I are going down to le maitre next week to look at some things, but...any advice about putting the effects together with the lighting effectively and avoiding the "cheap fireworks show" look? also, will pyros (something like flashes or robotics) be seen if used upstage of a standard white cyc while it is lit from the front?

any help is much appreciated...

thanks!

kelli

I think you'd have problems creating a realistic-looking bomb blast in full view of the audience. Anything less than a splendidly large explosion with lots of flying debris just won't look right.

Why not stage it so that the explosion is happening "over there somewhere", and simulate the effects on the observers with, perhaps, a maroon and a synchronised flash from a powerful strobe (you'd need one that could take a DMX signal to get good synchronisation with the bang ...).

a maroon and a synchronised flash from a powerful strobe (you'd need one that could take a DMX signal to get good synchronisation with the bang ...).

Without wanting to get into an arguement, you can get strobes which flash when a circuit is closed, normally via a 1/4" jack. This could easily be built into a sound effects cueing system (perhaps one button which triggers both sound FX and strobe - noise boys running lighting?! whatever next! :huh: ) or even a pyro launching system (although isolation would be an issue, to ensure the pyro wasnt fired accidentally)

... for Peter

You may be interested to know that we did discuss with a sound company at a large event at the Royal Albert Hall... the possibility of them "gateing" an input from one of our pyro devices for them to add a much louder, longer and all together better "boooooom" track...

... then again, you might not be interested!

Lincoln

I think the resolution I've come to is a series of flashes and a couple robotics, followed by a concussion from under the stage....lots of smoke and haze, a strobe effect courtesy of a mac600, and some parcans on the floor.....backed up by numerous sound effects from our lovely sound department. let's hope it works :-)

kelli

Archived