Freelance Issues And Training

Rob

This is largely a question for other students and graduates of technical drama courses...

I'm interested to know if any courses cover freelance and industry issues like tax, the law and the basic economics of the business. Have any of you been tought this kind of stuff, and what did it cover?

And for the wider public, what should something like this include to make us all more knowldegeable and employable.

at lamda we do a few basic courses like that...an equity/bectu briefing in our first year, and tax/legal and related issues in the second year. mostly little guest lecture things. my understanding (having just started my second year) is that these are very basic and not too in depth. not much you can cover in just a couple of hours. I think it might be something a three day course, for example, would be helpful for.

kelli

Students where I am don't cover any of these areas - and I do think it should at least be touched on. I manage to get quite a lot of my students some form of professional/paid work when they have graduated - mainly to just help them get something on their CV - alas they aren't taught anything re freelance work or about being self employed or how to find work - not surprising at a universtiy but would have thought it would have been sensible for it to be covered at the Drama schools.......

the old tax return bothering you rob??  you know you can ring the nice, friendly git or a tax man an he apparently is meant to help you!

The only thing they'll help you to do is to pay them even more in tax every year. :angry: I've said it before, and I'll say it again - if your employment status is anything other than completely and utterly PAYE-employed, get yourself a good accountant who understands something about the entertainment business. (If you're in North Wales, I can recommend someone ...)

On a side note, anyone ever come across LP10 before? If you know what I'm referring to, you'll know why I need advice! Please get in touch ...

Archived