Stage Manager/Prompt Desk

Hi,

This is probably a very long shot, but....

We managed to dig out our old Stage Manager/Prompt desk from a dark and dingy store in my school theatre a couple of weeks ago - and then the Theatre Technician promptly stepped on the plastic on the front and broke it!

I've had a look, and it appears that the circuitry is in-tact. However, the plastic fascia is completely broken - beyond repair. We'd like to get it back up and working, but we need to try and get hold of a new front for it.

It gets worse though! We have no purchase records or documentation for it - there is no indication to say who it was made by, or what model it is.

Are a great many of these products made, or is it just a case of looking at a few manufacturer's websites/brochures, and finding it? It is quite old though.

I don't have a picture to hand, though I can post this rough drawing (yes - I'm sad enough to draw it!) in case anyone has the same desk? Failing that, I'll take a photo when term starts again and post that to see if anyone can help. I've tried to match the colours roughly!

Any help on ideas for make, model, supplier or places to get spare parts from would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mikey P

http://www.pollardweb.me.uk/desk.gif

if your school has a c.d.t. department they probably have the tools you need to fabricate your own replacement fascia for it, if none of the electronics are broken it will probably be quite a bit cheaper as well!

I agree if it's just the plastic fascia that's broken, fabricate your own. Depending on how handy you are with a few tools you could knock one up in a few hours.

probably quicker to knock it up using perspex or similar, and if your a design student you shouldn't have any problems!

Yes - we were looking at perspex. We do have a CADCAM machine which will cut perspex, so I might design the new front on computer and cut it on the machine - my skills with hand-tools are pretty appaling!

Just got to find all the pieces now (they're hidden inside the unit somewhere) so I get all the labels and holes in the right place...

One quick question - the unit has controls for the comms/cans system - i.e. page individual units etc. We have a cans-ring system which has been in place for a long time, and I believe used with the desk.

At the moment (obviously because we can't use the desk!) we have a unit from Canford Audio where all the different cans rings plug into the back, and it all works fine. However, once the desk is back up and working, will we still need this control unit to be connected up? It's been a long time since the desk has been used and no-one in the theatre can actually remember!

• 2 weeks later...
At the moment (obviously because we can't use the desk!) we have a unit from Canford Audio where all the different cans rings plug into the back, and it all works fine. However, once the desk is back up and working, will we still need this control unit to be connected up? It's been a long time since the desk has been used and no-one in the theatre can actually remember!

Sounds like the desk has it all inbuilt - but only thing you can do is give it a whirl when you have it up and running again! No harm in finding out...

Sounds like the desk has it all inbuilt - but only thing you can do is give it a whirl when you have it up and running again! No harm in finding out...

Yeah - we tried firing it up, and it all works!

It transpires that the system was made by an A-Level student 8/9 years ago - I'm doing my best to try and track them down to try and get their plans!!

Thanks for all your help!

I would recommend trying Norther Light, We have 3 sm desks from them and they have never failed us and spare parts are always available! SO far!

If you give them a call and just describe the problem they should be able to help!

I know I am repeating what most people have already said but ya know, Every little helps!

• 2 months later...

Hiya,

I was just wondering whether you (mikeyp) had managed to get those plans and if you had whether you were able to upload them, because we desperatley need a prompt desk at my school and if I ever manage to build one, some plans would be great.

Thanks for all your help

Diarmuid

Hiya,

I was just wondering whether you (mikeyp) had managed to get those plans and if you had whether you were able to upload them, because we desperatley need a prompt desk at my school and if I ever manage to build one, some plans would be great.

Thanks for all your help

Diarmuid

Hi,

I'm afraid I haven't been able to get any of the designs. The system is very well integrated with all our sound kit (stage relay, cans etc), as well as the cabling within the theatre.

I don't know how compatible the unit would be with other systems in other theatres.

Having a quick look at the electronics inside, it doesn't look toooo complicated, but with our theatre being extremely old, I'm sure there are some "little black boxes" lurking about doing all the work!!!

Mikey P

Archived