Effects Hook Up

dominicgross

New sound gear has arrived - I have the basic stuff wired but I have a few issues

1) using 2 pairs of speakers with 2 amps. Do I bridge the amps, using 1 for left, 1 for right? If I wanted to use 1 amp for the front and 1 for the rear how do I wire that?

2) I have a stereo compressor wired into the inserts (L & R) - that works fine. But how do I wire in a stereo EQ?

3) I also need to wire in the stereo reverb....

4) What is the best way to wire in a foldback and a feed to the dressing rooms?

The desk is a SR24-4 VLZ PRO thing...

cheers guys...

OK

What speakers

What amp

I could say go and by, borrow, loan the yamaha sound book or read the great articles on the PSW but I'm sure that has been mentioned to many people before on many forums so I won't

OK comp - what is it there for - Inserts are OK as you could move it to other purposes later

then take the main out of the desk into your eq and onto your amps.

FX

mono feed from one of your post fade aux's to your mono input of your SR24. stereo output to two of your mono inputs hard panned l/r

sorry I can't find a single 3way mackie passive on their site at the moment.

you need to know their impedance and power handling,

Then check what the amps want to see - what the minimum load is - check the load and power presented with the different impedences in bridged and straight modes and work out what gives you the mose efficient output

However if you want independant control of your four speakers then it's accademic as you have to use all four amp channels

If you are using the speakers as rears, what direction are they going to face in - how are you going to delay them and have you considered weather or not you have to invert their polarity?

James

I'm not really a sound person, but from my (limited) knowlege I would say that this is what I would do:

Wire each speaker to a seperate amp channel (don't bridge the amps - would seem pointless and give you less flexibility), only bridge if you have to to get the impedance correct, but I don't fully understand that stuff

If I read you correct, your desk has four output groups (24-4??) in which case wire each amp from a seperate group, and you can then route anything anywhere. This would pose a problem with your EQ though.

As James suggested the best way I would see of wiring your EQ is to take your main desk outs into the EQ, then the output from that in to the amps, but this would only allow the EQ to balance two of the speakers. But if you want the seperate control then you would need to buy a second EQ anyway!! (I would also say that an EQ in the hands of the untrained can be a bad thing - I only ever use them if I can really hear a problem..)

Your compressor on inserts is OK, although I would be tempted to be wary of it, as you may only want to use it for certain situations.. I dunno, never used one (sorry, not much help!!)

The FX unit should be on POST fade Aux channels I would expect, with the return going into more channels (one or two depending on the unit)

To run your show relay you will need a second amp and some speakers (any amp/speaker combination will do - a lot of places just use a hi fi)

Run a line level feed from a PRE fade Aux out on the desk into the line input of the amp, you can then put up any of the auxes on the channels you want to always hear, and always get it!

Anyway, that's my thoughts, don't know if they are of any help :( I would say to use extreme caution when looking at bridgeing the amps or pairing the speakers, I would assume that the amps and speaker were supplied to be run on seperate channels, and as far as I am aware it is possible to blow up speakers and or amps by bridging things that shouldn't be such done!!

Thanks

Richard

richard - the only problem with running the 4 speakers from the 4 groups is that you end up with a situation with no groups left - and with 24ch left that can be a problem

However it is a solution and it will work - it just cuts down the flexibility of a verry limited desk to even worse levels.

If you do want pseudo surround go and buy a surround desk .

Cheers

James

if you want surround stuff, you dont have to buy a surround desk, you can get a processor, eg yamaha dsp800 (I think), that gives you 4.1 or 5.1 analog/digital output to plug up to amps etc... not the best way, but it works for me ;)

...me being a dvd player outputting DD5.1 into the yamaha, then 6 analog outs into 5 bridged amps to drive front left, front right, rear left, rear right, and front center, then the sixth goes directly to the sub amp :> sounds pretty good, though not recommended for purists. :blink:

Sorry are we talking about theatre or cinema here???

If you want pseudo suround you need surround panning don't you I would find that much easier to do than play with the delay ofsetting required for eg. dolby 4>2 channel multiplexing?

Re the groups, I would agree that it would cut down the functionality for having groups to play with, but I also like to be able to control speakers seperatly, although my main experience with sound (limited) has been for effects playback in theatre, where being able to route sounds to different places is important.

I suppose that for just bands and the like, the groups are more useful to have free...

Richard

what OT WRT the OP or OT WRT the forum.

The OP wanted to connect up 2 of his 4 speakers as rears.

Hence I said you can't run surround panning easily from his ma**ie desk.

What;s OT about that?

Sorry if I cause offence but I was trying to help the OP and if this means confronting incorrect advice posted by other members of this forum then I feel that this is On Topic.

Cheers

James

Sorry richard- your post appeared when I was posting my earlier reply

In theatre - or particularly musicals I find it increadibly useful; to be able to insert a parametric on a sub for all the lavaliers - something you couldn't do any other way if you are using them as speaker sends.

The OP might find it better runnig the rears of an aux rather than the groups.

Archived