Sound For A Live Gig

DanielArkley

One of my mate's bands wants to have a live gig, except they currently don't have any equipment to do this. The guy in charge (my mate) wants to buy some kit that the band will own, so that they don't have to rent it each time. I have been asked to provide him with a list of things he will need to buy. Never minding models, I understand the following arrangement would work:

Guitar --> Some kind of unpowered mixing desk --> Amplifiers --> Unpowered speakers

Mic -->Some kind of unpowered mixing desk with phantom power for mic --> Amplifiers --> Unpowered speakers

Is this correct? Do unpowered speakers work without an amplifier (I don't think they do, but need confirmation of this). If the band had an amplifier, they don't want to use powered speakers do they?

Ta.

Okay - I'm a bit confused but here goes...

There are 3 main (out of endless) possibilitys.

The first being a powered set up. Mics ------> unpowered mixer -------> powered speakers (NO AMPS NEEDED)

The second being a un powered set up. Mics ----> mixer ----> amp -----> upowered speakers. (NEED AMP)

The third using a powered mixer. Mics -----> powered mixer -------> unpowered speakers. (NEED POWERED MIXER)

Remember a powered mixer has a built in amp, A powered speaker has a built in amp. You DONT want to connect a powered mixer to an amp, or to a powered speaker. You also dont want to connect an amp to a powered speaker.

It sounds confusing but is really quite simple. The most popular set up for small band tends to be the cheapest.

Even buying the cheapest gear is going to prove expensive.... a basic setup ain't cheep...

You dont always need Phantom power on the desk - its only nessisary if your using a condenser type powered mike....

PM me if you need any more info....

It dependson the amp and the set up... I find the best thing to do is to take both. Take a DI from the amp and have a mike on the amp. (For electric guitar)

This way you get the best of both - a crystal clean processed sound, and the dirty amp sound.

For accoustic I put it into the DI and then split to the back line and to the mixer.

Perhaps its also worth noting that you can get some guitar amps with a mic input, so you could (theoretically, anyway) use only the one speaker for both guitar and singers. If you mic a guitar amp, be aware of the placement of the mic - too close, and you could blow the circuitry. Too far away, and you're likely to give yourself hassle with feedback from the other speakers.

Good luck.

And try Terralec or Thomann for cheap PA kit.

I'm only a lampie  (most of the time)...

with all due respect peter,

I've never "blown the circuitry in any mic" You can get mics to clip if they are subjected to too-high spl's but I've used dynamic's like the good old 57's with spl's in excess of 130dBA (yes I had to set the mic and retract to a safe distance as experiancing that would cause hearing damage) with no problems and a loverly sound.

Maybe you could consider investing in a copy of the "yamaha" book - it covers everything you needed to know to talk knowlegably about sound at this level

At the risk of making a commercial post - as there appear to be a few people who could do with reading it ,

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/0881889008.01.MZZZZZZZ.gif

Buy it from Amazon

Thanks

Oh and if you calculate the SPL inside a kick drum - then apply that to a standard dynamic mic - then work out what voltage that equates to - compare that with a standard 0dBu source.......

Rather interesting.

James

heavy, unreliable, generally crap

did you miss hot? - unexpandable and generally pointless :blink:

but yes it could be suitable in this situation.

Unless Paul fancies selling them some of his powered mackie speakers - that might do the job and be more expandable ...

;) or they could of course go for powered eon 10's ;)

Maybe you could consider investing in a copy of the "yamaha" book - it covers everything you needed to know to talk knowlegably about sound at this level

good recommendation - another excellent read for people into mixing is LIVE SOUND MIXING by DUNCAN R FRY. published by Roztralia Publications, ISBN number 0 646 11235 X. No disrespect meant, as I classify myself amongst this group, but it really is "sound mixing for dummies", very clear on all aspects. (I got my copy through the PLASA bookshop)

Archived