Beck Theatre Hayes

erroneousblack

The ad for a production team is separate from the technical team.

The Beck has a technical team of a Tech Mgr and 4 technicians - who technically service all the incoming shows (the Beck is mainly a receiving house for both pro touring shows and local amateur shows). But yes they have a few difficulties in holding on to technicians - mainly due to the poor wages I believe.

During 2 weeks in the summer they put on what used to be called the 'Beck Summer Youth Project'. This was a big show involving about 200 local kids aged 10- 18. After Clear Channel took over the running of the theatre a few years ago they decided to take the idea and start Summer Youth Projects in some of the other venues they ran. Then last year they changed the name to C C Stage Experience, and the show (at the Beck) has gradually got a lot smaller than its previous productions.

The ad in the Stage this week is for the director/MD etc for the show - who will only be employed for the production period of the summer show, and will not permanent staff of the theatre.

Hope that helps!

The Beck theatre unfortunately does a long history with staffing issues. Leading from the top to bottom. Having use to work at a CCE venue for 6 years, both as Apollo and CCE, the Beck is unfortunately one of the worst paid for technicians. HOWEVER......... in recent months there have been a lot of advertisements because a lot of them have moved onto much better things. One of which is now the No 1 sound on a uk tour and the other moved to the national. So though they might be badly paid it is a good venue for training and then moving on. The production team as Suzette pointed out is for the Summer Youth Project as we used to call it in Swindon or as its now called Stage One I believe. So this is a reason for both the turn around in staff and also the production team.

May I just say that the Beck's staffing issues are not actually "long history".

The theatre is now close on 30 years old and up until about 4 years ago the staff did actually remain for a reasonable length of service - but then changes in the salary and hours brought in by CCE did result in poor basic wages and therefore more difficulty in holding onto staff.

But yes I do agree with Gareth, in that it is such a busy and varied venue that it is a good place to learn a lot in a short amount of time - even if you do get "thrown into the deep end"!

Archived