18th /19th century corsets

Suzette

Does anyone know of anywhere to borrow, or hire very cheaply, 9 x 18th /19th century white corsets ? I have found some costume hire places that will hire, but are quite expensive - we are a drama school with a very limited budget! I've tried some other drama schools, but no luck so far. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks.

Guest lightnix

You could try some of the larger theatres, especially if you are in London. The National might be able to help, or maybe the Coliseum or the Opera House. If not they may be able to suggest somewhere.

Good luck :blink:

Indeed - English National Opera have a hire stock in Stepney. If the big companies (those Lightnix has listed) can't help, I would try Music&Drama schools (those that have an opera element) - I'm reliably informed that Welsh College of Music & Drama used to have a load of corsets in stock.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Have you tried the BBC Costume department? I've worked on low budget productions in the past where I understand from costume that the BBC were cheepest. Also If you find that no other drama schools have any then have you considered investing in a set and letting the other schools know that you have some, I remember my Church/Comprehensive school got a discount with, in exchange for a programme credit, Anne Summers for two consecutive productions. You never know untill they say no.

Just my 2p

James

Thanks for all the replies. I have looked into the buying option, but we don't have the capital available at the moment - maybe next year!?!

I will try the BBC - have tried several drama/opera schools, but those that have them are using them!! The National have them but are a bit more than our budget, I might have to try and magic some more money from somewhere!

Thanks all.

Archived