Very Large Projection Scenery

raicttec

Hi

Iam doing a school production of Annie and the director has decided to try and use projection instead of of all the diffrent sets. After looking at the problem due to the size we believe we are looking at spliting the backdrop slides between two 2000 Lumin Projectors. Our problem now is that what to project on to as the space is about 4M High and about 5M wide. I have looked all over the net and cant find anybody who hire a screen this size or any solutions.

Has anybody had the same problem and if so what did you do? Or have we missed a dead simple solution? Or know any links which may help?

Cheers

Please Help

Karl Bolland

karlbolland@rastrick.calderdale.sch.uk

Ps We dont have a huge healthy BUDGET!!

Stu

We have just thrown our cyc from our hall as it had been there since 1974!! and has only been down 4 times in that time. So when it was pulled out it more yellow than white! Do you know of any special fabric to use for rear projecting rarther than just white cloth?

Cheers

Karl

What distance do you have behind the "back line"? Obviously to make a 4x5m square you're going to need either a high beam angle or a long throw. Or something in between. Non standard lenses for video projectors are expensive. I think I was quoted somewhere in the region of £500 for a week for a decent projector and lens. There are a few members on the Blue Room who may be able to help you - no doubt they'll PM you with any offers of support.

To calculate the required beam angle, you should try LD Calculator (a quick Google will turn up the URL) - it has an excellent photometrics calculator.

Just a novel idea for the projection: What about Selcon Pacific (the cool versions) with acetate printed "gobos" - I believe you can get a Pacific in 90 degree version. I don't know how many different backdrops there are, or how many spare dimmer channels you have, but its just an idea.

Karl

I've not done alot in this field, but I suppose you'd want something quite closely stiched (i.e. no wacking great holes in the fabric!) so the projection can be seen clearly. What kind of fabric does this I don't know!

I will say if your making screens make sure they are in the right aspect ratio for your source footage - i.e. either 4:3 (1.33:1) or 16:9 (1.78:1) otherwise you'll get empty bits of canvas! :o

Stu

You can get cheaper than bp screen somthing along the lines of 50/50 or another plasicised diffusion sufrface. This can also be bought off the roll or in various joined shapes and sizes. We make custom screens for sets out of the stuff all the time. Pm for more details.

Archived