PSL Amplifiers

Rich

Hi Folks,

Has anybody used any of the PSL amplifiers? Just wondering if you could tell me how good they are and what they are comparable to.

Also does anybody know the secondhand value of them? (2101 and 2401)

Cheers. Rich

Hey rich, I've used them, they're quite old I believe, the one's I've used have taken a fair amount of hammering, but I don't think they sound very good, especially at the top end, I found them to be very harsh. personally I wouldn't pay any more than 150 for one, at the outside edge, and if I was gonna spend that, then I'd at least look on ebay for something new, even the yammi amps. I guess I'm just saying, I'd be looking for alternatives first, but if they're in good knck, then they're ok. you might be lucky and be able to pick up a cheap second hand QSC RMX. I got a 2450 for 330 a few months ago.

hope this is of some help, sorry its a bit vague.

• 3 months later...
I have a rack of PSL amps - 2401, 1201 and 801 - never had any problems, and sound great - I know of many other hire companies who use them exclusively for non-self powered kit, who swear by their reliability and stamina.

I'm using a PSL Ve 2400. Robust, reliable, unexciting. Over twenty tears old, so probably superceded by your 2401.

It's just an amplifier and is good for throwing power at the stack. You can't go far wrong if you get one cheaply. Internal wiring is tidy (it's never gone wrong. I opened it to dust it out.)

It's never been a favourite, (it's heavy, has binding posts, green "active clip" leds on the front panel blink out occasonally to worry you when everything sounds and is fine. )

I'd like to retire it, but anything better is expensive. If I was offered another PSL cheaply I'd accept.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was given a psl recently and it sooo heavy to be just 2kw?!

it weighs in around 40kg ,but it doesnt work...

I am only interested in getting it fixed to put it through its paces,the compressor function on it loos like a good idea too

I had a cursory glance round it -and though the protection light comes on at start up,I am still interested in fixing this one up.

its a psl vp 2030 ,I know nothing bout these kind of amps or even where I could get it fixed,or if its worth it,valve is usually more my kind of thing.

if anyone can hook me up with the makers(PIC Systems?)or someone who has experience of weak points of this amp I would be grateful.

I've used PSL VP1620s before on many ocassions. Infact a rack of them used to power the thunder ridge owned by a company I work closely with. They are nice sounding amps and I think I'd be right in saying they are pretty much hand built to spec? The only issue I've ever heard is that they often go DC taking your speakers with them. However whenever I've used one, I've just used common sense and not clipped it and its been fine.

• 7 months later...
I've got a PSL2400, I'm touching wood like mad cos I've had no problems with it at all and I've thrashed it with 2 custom made eminance cappa pro cabs and 2 'THE BOX' bass bins. It's loud, sounds good, really drives the bins well and as long as I let it sip my pint it sits there happily plodding effortlessly for me. They are heavy but I just put mine on top of one of the bins as they have casters on. I'd have another one. The lad who had it before ran 2 x bass bins with 2 18'' drivers in each and frequently clipped it and it never batted an eyelid. It looks old, it does what it says on the tin but is a very respected piece of my sound system. I will say that I do also run a THON 1400 amp, lighter and less power but they are very very good for the money. I paid about 160 quid direct from THONMAN. I've dropped that one and it still works well. May I ask what does this thing mean about them going DC and sending your speakers with it as it says on a couple of comments above this one, I've only just got my head around ohms and amps and wattage so I'm still learning

On a quality amp like the PSL it shouldnt really happen, they do in fact have speaker protection relays to stop this sort of thing happening. The relays do sometimes give trouble, but usually by cutting the sound off intermittently.

DC current out of any amplifier is serious news, often turning the speaker voice coil into a mini electric fire element before it frazzles to death. It occurs because of the way amp internals are designed, and results from several different types of component failure within, sometimes in relatively small components. For this reason, most amps these days are protected by a sort of monitoring circuit that either cuts the speakers out of circuit before the current has time to do them any damage, or by so-called crowbar circuits that forcibly short-circuit any fault current (often doing more damage in the meantime but protecting the speakers). Not all protection circuits are foolproof all of the time unfortunately, and this is one very good reason why internal fuses (for instance) in an amp must only be replaced after the circuits have been inspected by a competent person.

I believe most PSL users are very happy with their amps despite their general weight, they're built jolly well.

• 2 months later...

<_< hi gang,

new to the forum, and just back in the business after a few years away. used to own a psl 2401 and a 1201 a few year ago. just bought an 801 off e bay. the guy advertised it as 2.4kw, but have a sneaky suspicion its 400 watts per side. anyone clear it up and confirm the correct power rating? thanks in advance,

regards,

andy. B-)

Archived