I Need Some Persuasion Tactics

ian.michael.williams

Hi,

I work in Forest Theatre in the forest of dean. We have 24 channels of dimming and a Strand MX 24 to operate them. The flaw is this: We're running D54, Strand's lovely analogue protocol.

I need some tactics to try and persuade the management of the theatre to give me the budget to upgrade to DMX, meaning I don't have to run with two different controllers each time I want to run a show with movers.

Thanks,

Ian

Hi Ian

Maybe the cheapest way to go about this would be to buy a Compulite DMX512 to D54 convertor - this way you could still keep your dimmers and just by a new desk along with the convertor. Or if you wanted to do it in steps, you could keep the MX24 for a while and just use the DMX512 output on the desk while your thinking about a new desk.

One idea among the many...

Stu

I did this conversion myself a few years back the MX24 will output DMX,D54or AMX its just a case of selecting the correct one from the input output menu and then using the appropriate connector on the back. This means you only need to replace your demultiplexer. A botex unit (exactly the same as the more expensive version) can be bought for roughly £160. Doing it this way is much preferable and cheaper to having a converter sitting in the line somewhere.

Gavin

Archived