Mac 2000 Wash Robe Colourwash 1200

Nick512

Just wondering if anyone has done a side by side comparison of the two fixtures.. I have only ever used the mac wash and not really in an environment where I could really tell what they were like.

I Know that the VL3000 Spot is ununbelievably better than the Mac 2000 Spot but the mac wash is pretty good isn't it?

Having done a shoot out with the two.

The VL3000 has a better red and is a whiter light, also is slightly more reliable and should you need to, much easer to fix but it fall's down compared to the mac with the beam flexibility.

The VL has a good beam eg tight and large wash, with the mac you can change the lens and also add automated barn doors as an option.

it really depends on what you want from the light, for theatre use, the VL would be best, also as you can get the Vl3000Q which is pretty much completely silent, its also is lighter to lift and fly in and out.

Another thing to remember is the usual supreme colour change speed of the VL for snapping colours, the mac looks very slow when run together, saying that the strobe on the mac is far better.

Both units are 1200w but the mac appears brighter to the eye and on a light meter.

if you are wanting to hire, you can easily request a shoot out with VL and PRG under one banner,

Greenford stock both, infact they even favoured to buy more mac wash's than VL3000 wash when they came out (before the PRG takeover) believing the mac to be more popular. They may have been wrong, Vl3000 spot and wash are both popular in hire and sales markets.

Guest lightnix

Apart from the colour speed issue, I reckon it's almost too close to call these days. One of the main reasons that MACs have been so favoured in the past is price IMHO. If you could get, for example, five x moving lights for the price four y ones, wouldn't you maybe forgive a few perceived minor shortcomings in x, in return for a bigger / cheaper rig?

Don't forget (and I know I've said this before): it's not the equipment that does the lighting, it's the LD and operator. Just because you've got a top-of-the-range Nikon, doesn't mean you're going to take better photos; apart from which, when was the last time you heard Joe Public passing comments like, "Well, the lighting was OK, but those stock Vari-lite gobos just leave me cold."? :off: :unsure:

take a look at the new colourwash 1200At from ROBE, its the nutts, as its far nicer than comparing mac2000 wash!!! In my view

yes the ROBE is a great light I have used them a few times now. I think that they are much better than the MAC2000. my only problem is avaliablity I need to be able to spec a light that I can pick up worldwide and at my last enquirys my preferred rental houses's they only had Mac2k's and Vl3k's in the kind of quantities that I need.

I haven't see the Clay Paky Stuff but I have been put off them since the stage spot's and again hard to find worldwide in quantity.

I think it's going to be the VL washes as I already have 30 VL3000 Spots on the rig and they share parts therefore easyer for my guys to maintain.

thanks for the help though.

Not attempting to question your imparciality vince but I remember you saying earlier that you are supported / sponsored by ROBE?

I dont push something that isnt worth it, I chose the sponsor over martin, and any other company.

I have had first hand exspreince with all the above fixtures (even the CP) and its still the ROBE.

yes the ROBE is a great light I have used them a few times now. I think that they are much better than the MAC2000. my only problem is avaliablity I need to be able to spec a light that I can pick up worldwide and at my last enquirys my preferred rental houses's they only had Mac2k's and Vl3k's in the kind of quantities that I need.

yes understandable, its gonna be a while before they are available world wide, if you contact ROBE direct, they will be able to give you a list of all the hire companys world wide that own a stock of 1200AT's, (if ya want to that is :P )

One of the main reasons that MACs have been so favoured in the past is price IMHO. If you could get, for example, five x moving lights for the price four y ones, wouldn't you maybe forgive a few perceived minor shortcomings in x, in return for a bigger / cheaper rig?

Yes in the past I agree this was a major factor, though nowadays the purchase list-price comparison at the top end is quite interesting, and the rental list prices also seem to reflect this.

VL list prices

Martin list prices

• 9 months later...

Archived