Hammersmith Apollo

gherriott

Hello everyone,

It's been a while since I've been on here! I'm here to ask for a bit of info/help with regards to touring into the Hammersmith Apollo, London. I'm taking a small scale tour there for two night in a couple of months. I only tour projection equipment and screen and microphones (stand up tour), so usually turn up to the venue and work with what is there. Now according to a few colleagues who have worked there, there IS NOTHING THERE! - Which is kind of scary for me what with this being my first job as a Tour Manager, coming from a predominately Production LX background. So I was just wondering if any one on here has worked there before and knows exactly what IS there, and who the companies are that they used to supply lx, sound rigging and so on. Do they have their preferred suppliers and so on. I am struggling to find a contact there as the production company I am working for seem to not have any contact info for them.

So any info on the Apollo, things to watch out for, things usually overlooked would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Greg

Sorry I can't help with your question, but the HMV Hammersmith Apollo web site is here. There's an excellent virtual tour and it does look rather bare! It's changed a lot from when it was the Odeon 40 years ago.

Thanks for that Boatman, for some reason going through google to the link on my previous attemptshad failed me yet your link lead my directly to the site at last! The virtual tour was rather helpful! I've also found a telephone number and email address so once again thank you. Anyone else got any advice about this venue?

Hi

I regularly do shows in the Hammersmith and I can confirm that there is NO sound or LIghts provided in house unless you have done some sort of a deal with the promoter for this event.

If you would like any sort of quote doing please send me a PM although im not touting for buisiness as such but I do know the venue well.

Silly question but worth asking...

Are you sure there are no other venues on your tour that have no kit of their own? Its not impossible that there'll be others with no lighting rig, and its not particularly unusual for receiving venues on that scale to have no pa of their own. (Or at least, no system that you'd want to actually use.)

Seano, yeh I have done most of the other venues on this tour before, and there are a couple that don't have equipment which I am already aware of and having done those venues before know what to spec, but it's just the Apollo where I have never been there and keep hearing stories about the fact you have to even hire in you're own blacks so, just want to be prepared!

Hi Greg,

Just did my 12th show (I think) at the Hammersmith this Christmas as a Production Manager/Tour Manager, so the know the venue really well, and understand the position you are in.

There is not much at the venue, the only thing they provide in house is two sets of legs and borders, and a set of full blacks. If it would be helpful I can send you the tech spec from the venue, but it is only one page listing the power specs and a few other details. (PM me your e-mail address). They do have a full counterweight system that is good, but depending on what, and how much you're putting in, I found some times its easy to put it all on truss and motors.

I can also put you in touch with the few really good sound and LX suppliers I use, and they know the venue really well and can suggest exactly what you need to make the venue work. It is also worth getting in touch with 'Stage Miracles' who regularly "local crew" the venue, I can provide you with contact details for this also if needed.

One thing worth mentioning is how nice Tony Walton the technical manager is, a genuinely nice bloke who knows the venue very well, and will happily answer any questions you have.

If I can be any help at all, don't hesitate to drop me a PM or e-mail.

Alex.

hi

Worked on this sort of thing loads of times at Hammersmith for loads of shows

Give Adam or Noreen a call at Entec sound and light, they probably put a show a week in down there. Theyl also do a discount if you book both lights and sound, save on trucking as it all comes out of one warehouse and also have the kit to beef up your AV if you need it as its a large space to fill

0208 842 4004

There are of course other lighting and sound suppliers in west london you may consider but I get work from these guys.

• 6 years later...

Archived