Zero88 FLX fixture personalities

Biskit

I'm in the process of planning DMX addressing for an install including some Spotlight FresneLED 150 RGBW fresnels. The console will be a Zero88 FLX. These fixtures have 6 different modes, of which the two likely contenders are: RGBW+CCT (8 chans) as the CCT control will be useful, however RGBW(16 BIT) (11 chans) gives finer colour control but loses the on-board CCT control. Not being overly familiar with the FLX, is CCT control something which can be emulated on the desk using the 16 BIT personality? Which would be best to use for the most flexibility?

Things have become a bit more complicated than when I last did something like this, with different things achievable in different ways! It's just useful if I can plan addressing before the equipment is delivered, though of course things can be changed in due course if necessary.

Thanks for any input.

Edit - On checking the zero88 fixture library listing, there may not be a personality for this anyway so I might be writing one... anyone attempted this?

You can certainly build a fixture profile with 16-bit colour parameters, just as you often do for pan and tilt position parameters. I'm not aware the FLX has any limitations in this respect, however I can't test this out for you as I don't have any fixtures with 16-bit parameters, sorry.

Maybe Jon from Zero88 will see your post and confirm either way.

You could also post on the FLX forum:

http://zero88.com/forum/forum/144-flx/

which Jon might see sooner, or another user with such fixtures might be able to help out.

It's also worth seeing if the fixture library contains this fixture already, or request it on the forum if you post a link to the manuall:

http://zero88.com/fo...library-editor/

Kevin

ETA: Is this the manual?

http://www.spotlight...RGBW_IE_low.pdf

Regards CCT, this looks like a white colour temperature capability of the fixture - and likely just adjusts the red or blue component on top of the white LED or RGB-white. Not using the ability of the lantern to do this, you could be down to creating some colour palettes, or maybe some weird application of virtual colour channels. Not quite sure if/how this would work in practice!

----------

If you want to/have the opportunity to try this fixture with the FLX (or FatFrog etc), then I've built all channel variants of the fixture in the manual above and posted it on the Zero88 Fixtures forum:

http://zero88.com/fo...ixture-profile/

Good luck.

Kevin

Hi Kevin thanks for the reply, I've now requested personality files be added to the library, so I think we're ok in that respect now. The CCT is I believe just a case of the fixture adjusting the RGBW values to emulate various colour temperatures - I think this will be a useful feature as we may want to match to halogen fixtures at some point, however I was wondering if this was something that can be achieved within the desk using the 16 bit mode on the fixture.

...RGBW(16 BIT) (11 chans) gives finer colour control but loses the on-board CCT control. Not being overly familiar with the FLX, is CCT control something which can be emulated on the desk using the 16 BIT personality? Which would be best to use for the most flexibility?...

How strange... usually profiles with higher channel count add extra features, not remove them!

The CCT is I believe just a case of the fixture adjusting the RGBW values to emulate various colour temperatures - I think this will be a useful feature as we may want to match to halogen fixtures at some point, however I was wondering if this was something that can be achieved within the desk using the 16 bit mode on the fixture.

As you say, all the CCT values will be doing is scaling the RGBW values to emulate the various colour temperatures - so there's no reason you couldn't do this yourself manually. For basic "match to this 'open white' colour temperature", you could pretty quickly create palettes to do that.

Looks like Kevin has made all the profiles for you - just save them onto USB, plug into the console and choose "Load File" within SETUP to add them into the library.

I'm not aware the FLX has any limitations in this respect, however I can't test this out for you as I don't have any fixtures with 16-bit parameters, sorry.

Maybe Jon from Zero88 will see your post and confirm either way.

There aren't any limitations - any parameter can be 16bit.

Archived