USB to DMX interface and Software

lasander79

Hello

I work in a school and have an intermediate knowledge of stage lighting.

We have 16 LED light units and a basic lighting desk to control them - QTX DM-X18

I've been frustrated using it as it doesn't allow us to to dissolve from one preset to another. We can only switch instantaneouly or fade out - switch preset - then fade in.

I'm looking for great control and interetsed in trying out some of the third party software that is available to control lights from a computer.

I'm basically looking for any recommendations on software and a USB to DMX interface that will support at least 16 LED lighting units.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

Liam.

ls@waleshigh.com

Hello

I work in a school and have an intermediate knowledge of stage lighting.

We have 16 LED light units and a basic lighting desk to control them - QTX DM-X18

I've been frustrated using it as it doesn't allow us to to dissolve from one preset to another. We can only switch instantaneouly or fade out - switch preset - then fade in.

I'm looking for great control and interetsed in trying out some of the third party software that is available to control lights from a computer.

I'm basically looking for any recommendations on software and a USB to DMX interface that will support at least 16 LED lighting units.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

Liam.

ls@waleshigh.com

You may want to look at Magicq software by Chamsys ...there is a free version and they also supply a USB to DMX dongle for £10 so you can quickly see whether it meets your needs.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I had to use DAS a few times, but think it's something for the DJ boys, not for theatre or live.

I really think MagicQ is the way to go here. Get the MagicQ full dongle and start enjoying decent software. The learning-curve is not as steep as you think. It's a school, you want people to learn something. So why bother with toys, when you have the oportunity to give the students a taste of a real console. That's what makes it fun for them. If they understand the basics of a professional console, they can apply it in the real world, regardless of the make of the console. Opping a lighting-rig isn't a trick, it's a concept.

In the meantime save up some money and get a secondhand mini-wing. Give Chamsys a call, they might be able to help you.

PS: I give guest-classes on a school here twice a year. I bring a Chamsys maxiwing system, and 12 led-pars and 4 movers. When school is out the kids (14-16 year old) know about mains, DMX, patching, palettes, programming and more, and have created their own show.They learn fast, because it's fun to do. Some of those kids are now working for major stage companies. Or in the local theatre, where they get tp play with a GrandMa. Or in the local youthcentre.

Archived