NYE Emergency: Avolites Pearl Personality Problem w/ Laser Lights :/

JamesCast

Hi all,

I will be running an Avolites Pearl 2004 console for a New Year's Eve gig at a venue and was recently informed the band is bringing

4 Chauvet Scorpion GBC Lasers http://www.chauvetlighting.com/scorpion-gbc.html

2 Chauvet Scorpion Stoom FX lasers http://www.chauvetlighting.com/scorpion-storm-fx.html

I want to patch these into the console but can not find the personalities for the GBC lasers on Avolites' site. I doubt the venue has them on board already. I found an original scorpion personality but do not think this will apply to the green blue cyan model. http://www.avolitesdownload.com/Personalit...ary/Default.asp

These are relatively new fixtures, does this mean I am out of luck and will not be able to run via DMX? I am in America and nobody at Avolites is picking up, the office is closed until Jan. 4th. Any help would be greatly appreciated I'd like to make this work because if I do well they will take me on tour in a month.

CHEERS!

Don't forget to add this to the request queue. While it won't help you for this event it will mean it gets added to the database for others.

Note that it is surprisingly easy to write .r20 personalities. It is worth learning so you can solve these problems quickly if you need. Writing .r20 personalities is explained in the manual and can be done with a simple text editor. Have a look at some files in the database clicking on 'view source'. There is also the Personality Builder software from which you can export .r20 files, but in all honesty unless you are writing .d4 (Titan) files then it is probably easier to just use a text editor.

For emergencies there are UK mobile phone contacts listed for during the closed period.

DMX should not be used for control of lasers

Why is this?

Thanks Nic :D

I'm presuming this is an issue of faults causing blindness and such? I can't think of many other reasons, as DMX lasers are common - how else would you control them? And as far as safety goes, if you're following common sense in rigging them, what can go wrong in the event of a DMX problem?

ISTR that the DMX standard precludes "Safety Critical" applications. Thus no pyro control, and no laser control. Unless you have a "safe" laser system, or pyro (don't really want to open THAT can of worms again though!)

Not got the book here to check though.

I can see how it could cause a problem if an error left the laser in the eyes of the punter for hours, but is rigging lasers in a such a way that that's possible allowed at all?

Do people follow the standard and use a different system?

Edit: Just had a poke around past threads and the photonlexicon forums and it seems they use the ILDA standard, and found a few helpful threads. Disregard my questions :D

Seems odd that responsible companies like Martin sell mid/high end DMX lasers though.

Thank you Nic for following up I really appreciate it and hope to God it works tomorrow ** laughs out loud **!

These are 250mW lasers I am going to hang 10 feet above band point directly over audience about 60 feet to a wall. I am just hoping the haze and fog machines make the beams visible. I was told it would be ok to point at audience but I just want massive amounts of beams to be perceived overhead

I think the difference is that ILDA (25pin D plug from a pc interface or dedicated controller) has direct control over the mirrors in the laser so an error could possibly cause the beam to remain stationary which is obviously bad, and therefore that method of control is safety critical.

DMX isn't fast enough for direct control of laser position and is only used for selection of preset programmes, so DMX errors could only cause the wrong program to be selected. Anything which could cause a stationary beam would be internal to the laser unit, so that is the safety critical part not the DMX.

In either case there should be hardware protection that shuts down the unit if one of the galvos goes open circuit. Not sure how they protect against a stationary beam due to software failure though......

No problem. Assuming the manual is correct I'm sure it will be fine but if all else fails you can always patch dimmers.

I have created the Titan version too and both will be uploaded some time next week so no need to add to the request queue :D

As for the obligatory off-topic I'm fairly sure it's all been discussed before....

Archived