KAM Powerbar Vs Equinox MegaBar

Boltonguy

Also look at Thomann's offering, clicky, which looks identical to the Equinox Mega Bar. The KAM looks slightly different and appears to have a large clear cover over the LEDs.

Reading the reviews on the German version of the Thomann site, the general consensus is that the lights are good, very bright, but a little on the flimsy side. The stands are a waste of time as they only go up to 2m, and the foot controller is not great.

I have ordered 2 of the Thomann (Stairville) sets, mainly as they will take up much less room in the car/van than the LED parcans I'm currently using, and I'm hoping they will be at least as bright, if not brighter. They should be with me next week so I'll update then.

More or less the same thing, but the KAM's build quality seems slightly higher, guess that's why they cost a little extra.

I've a set of the Equinox units, I'm very pleased with them (so is the band).

As mentioned the units from Thomann are yet another clone.

I have had the jack socket input for the remote footswitch break and fall side the unit. The plastic nut (yes plastic, not metal) was so thin I don't know how any threads where moulded in. Replaced with a metal nut now, and all is well.

The manual hasn't translated well, but with some trial and error you will be soon up and running.

I tried some simplified DMX controlling last time I used them, run from a Martin 2518. The footswitch is functional, and would suit a pub band, but I would only use it as a last resort. I aim to get them under full control using my lappy software.

Oh, and I the supplied stands are too short. Mine have 2 sections, and are as high as a speaker stand. Apparently the stands should be in 3 sections to get the required height. Prolight who distribute them are now aware of the problem. Luckily I have a set a small wind-up stands that can support them.

I was never a fan of LED lighting, but when I saw a demo of these units around Easter I was reasonably impressed, enough to reach for the plastic friend.

They also get interest from other bands when they see them.

ok for DJs

Ok, I know it's not pro theatre gear, but we musicians fall between two stools sometimes. Ask about these units on a DJ forum and you will probably find out that they look cool and do sound to light.

I'm after something bright enough to do the job with enough control and subtlety to not look like a disco, and compact enough to take to smaller venues where the fee doesn't justify a large scale rig.

It is possible to get an interesting and dynamic visual show even with the cheaper fixtures if the control/programming is done well (I'm sure there's a link somewhere to the Pink Floyd tribute show in Ibiza(?) using cheap movers and LEDs).

There are lots of members interested in using LED fixtures in smaller venues, so why so condescending?

Wasn't meant to be condescending, but it's worth pointing out that alot of the DJ brand lighting is built, priced and performs just for that one reason..your dj in a silver lame jacket in the corner of a pub. DJ stuff is rarely built to survive the rigours of being bounced about in the back of the tour van and handled by people who may not respect its fragility. You will rarely see DJ brand LED lighting on the 'big stage' or on TV; the pro stuff is impressive and the cost of it reflects that; it's earning its keep. DJ led stuff is usually of an order of quality below even their usual level and I've had no end of it through the workshop in such a battered state that it has become seriously dangerous; in a few cases the metal enclosures being made of such thin gauge metal that the mains cable restraints had pulled right through them with the plastic backnut still attached!!! Switchmode power supply boards mounted on such flimsy plastic supports that they snap and the pcb ends up resting on the metal case with predictable results.

If you're happy to handle them with care (and secure them properly in transit) then they'll probably be ok. The bar-type leds are at least a little better built especially the aluminium extruded ones rather than the sheet steel ones, but then these are the ones that cost a little more.

PS Equinox are a brand of Prolight Concepts, they are possibly a little more approachable re-spares etc than Lamba who own the KAM brand, but thats just my personal experience.

Fair point Kevin, we are talking about the budget end of the market. As a matter of interest, does anyone know of any better quality fixtures that will do a similar job to the budget ones mentioned while still keeping the compactness for ease of transport (that's my main reason for choosing these fixtures)?

ok for DJs

Ok, I know it's not pro theatre gear, but we musicians fall between two stools sometimes. Ask about these units on a DJ forum and you will probably find out that they look cool and do sound to light.

I'm after something bright enough to do the job with enough control and subtlety to not look like a disco, and compact enough to take to smaller venues where the fee doesn't justify a large scale rig.

It is possible to get an interesting and dynamic visual show even with the cheaper fixtures if the control/programming is done well (I'm sure there's a link somewhere to the Pink Floyd tribute show in Ibiza(?) using cheap movers and LEDs).

There are lots of members interested in using LED fixtures in smaller venues, so why so condescending?

Pink Floyd Tribute is in Tenerife, and yes we use showtec led par cans , and the odd one has failed, switched mode psu's, the ones with transformers , solid as a rock, we have 8 acme queenspots, never failed in 3 years, (prolight brand)

14 soundlab scanners, bad news when they were in a disco, but not too bad on the show, but my opinion is they are rubbish quality.

14 Scanic Astute moving heads, really bright no split colours sadly, but reliable, only problem someone whacked one on a stage move and snapped the drive belt. not the lights fault, a few DMX issues with the change of mfr type, put the new ones on the end of the DMX line problem solved.

Ok, just a quick update.

The Stairville units have arrived, build is quite flimsy, very thin pressed steel, and the thinnest yokes I've ever seen (having studied the web pics of the KAM and Equinox units they all look equally lightweight). But they do come in a good solid padded case which is essential for transporting them. The stands are, as mentioned earlier, about 2m high. To be honest they are very lightweight and I wouldn't want to take them much higher. Haven't opened the box with the foot controller in as I won't be using it.

Light output is good; one individual fixture is noticeably brighter than one Eurolite Par64 10mm LED, and with a wider beam spread.

In the following pictures the Eurolite is on the left, the Mega Tri Bar fixture on the right.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc196/crabspoil/mega-tri-barvseurolite1.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc196/crabspoil/mega-tri-barvseurolite4.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc196/crabspoil/mega-tri-barvseurolite3.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc196/crabspoil/mega-tri-barvseurolite2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your comments everyone. I bought the Equinox Megabar as it was cheaper, identical to KAM and in stock. Brightness is great compared to the microbar system I had. Stand is on a speaker stand though (poor show) and extends to only 2 metres. However, the shop I bought these from have said they can give me an extension for free (S W Sound & Lighting)

Everything is identical to the KAM Powerbar system.

I am using these to illuminate myself as a solo artist in pubs and clubs and can see these as a great addition to my inventory.

Thanks again everyone

Just thought I would update you all after a couple of outings with the Equinox Megabar. The brightness is great and the coverage and ease of use is fantastic. The set up time is literally 5 mins to produce quite a professional finish to a solo act.

I highly recomend these and have been told by a few people that these have the edge over the KAM Powerbar in respect of brightness.

Thanks again all

Gav

• 8 months later...

Hi Know this is an old thread now, however just bought a pair of the Equinox megabars and am having trouble getting the sound mode to work correctly via the footswitch.

HAve the unit set to slave mode as in the manual, however when selecting the "G" option from the footswitch I just get a fast flow of the lights from right to left (like the meteor auto program) in time to the music rather than the more usable patterns that are used when sound mode is selected from the unit itself.

Any tips on what I may be doing wrong here , or it that what others experience / units defective ?

thanks in advance

Archived