Panasonic digital av mixer WJ-AVE5 Help Please

lil

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me....

Basically, I've got a WJ-AVE5 mixer and have connected 2 camcorders to it's video source in connection, and my tv to the preview monitor connection. The problem is that the image I'm getting on my tv is black and white. The problem is not my tv, as when I plug the same cable from my tv to the mixer's monitor connection on the video source (input) section, the tv shows colour. I don't know if there's something I can press to change the record settings, if it would make a difference if I plug a bnc cable th monitor, or if the mixer is a black and white mixer. Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Lil

ps. the rec video out's effect is pressed, but it doesn't make a diference if I press a or b.

Get a scope on the preview output of the vision mixer,

Check the presence, frequency and duration of the colour sub carrier after the back porch on each line of the waveform. This should tell you enough to start to work out where your problem is.

James

It's a while since I used these, but the preview output was as far as memory serves intended to display the wipe patterns and the parameters of the various functions. It isn't intended as the source for monitoring the output - there are other outputs for that. There are y/c and composite outputs available on the rear panelthat are from the mix/effects bus.

"Check the presence, frequency and duration of the colour sub carrier after the back porch on each line of the waveform"

-Sorry, but can you explain what you mean here, as I'm a beginner at this. Also, I've checked putting the composite cable from the tv to the output and it's still black and white. I thought the problem might be the record output is in NTSC, as I got it from abroad, but the manual says it's a PAL mixer, so I've run out of ideas

Lil

"Check the presence, frequency and duration of the colour sub carrier after the back porch on each line of the waveform"

-Sorry, but can you explain what you mean here, as I'm a beginner at this.

;) Don't worry, he lost pretty much all of us there! To James, that's normal stuff to be doing, but I don't know how many of us would be able to do the same!

I thought the problem might be the record output is in NTSC, as I got it from abroad, but the manual says it's a PAL mixer, so I've run out of ideas

Do you mean that the source material or machine is from abroad? Because that would explain it. A PAL mixer or not, if the source is NTSC, then you'd get that fuzzy black-and-white look on a PAL display.

If you got it from an NTSC country, then you are stuck. A PAL television plugged into an NTSC device will oddly often autoswitch and produce a colour picture - however, the device you have will not be happy with a PAL input, and although the frame synchroniser can manage the difference in frame rate and the line rate, it can't handle the colour differences and displays in B&W.

In the original post you said you were using the preview output, I assume you have now tried all the outputs?

James is interested in the waveform, the frequency of the PAL colour burst - the only snag is few people have a scope and even if they have may find it difficult to spot 4.43 from 3.58 - let alone the timing.

Modern display kit makes identifying NTSC quite difficult, it's nowhere near as easy as it used to be with old monitors. I have a dedicated small NTSC monitor that will only display colour when presented with a genuine 525 line NTSC signal - very often these 'wrong' signals will display fine on my modern kit, despite the manuals stating PAL in big letters!

I'm not sure if this one has it, but often the model number on the spec plate has a suffix, U for NTSC and E for PAL - worth checking, and if it is U, then you are pretty stuck.

James is interested in the waveform, the frequency of the PAL colour burst - the only snag is few people have a scope and even if they have may find it difficult to spot 4.43 from 3.58 - let alone the timing.

Well - I was thinking it was more obvious to spot if the phase of the colour sub carrier changed on alternate lines.

James

Archived