Strobe

mike

Thanks for that, its very interesting as I was under the impression that there WAS a law for using strobe and the length that you could use them for.  This helps a lot! :stagecrew:

Not so much a law but every venue which has a public entertainment licence will have a clause in it covering strobe use. So you might not go to jail but the venue might lose its licence.

Not so much a law but every venue which has a public entertainment licence will have a clause in it covering strobe use. So you might not go to jail but the venue might lose its licence.

Thanks for that too, however makes you wonder what would happen if something happened in a organisation such as a school, who runs without an entertainment liscense if something happened? :stagecrew:

makes you wonder what would happen if something happened in a organisation such as a school, who runs without an entertainment liscense if something happened?

I was under the impression that schools did have such licences? I remember midway through secondary school a sign appeared in our foyer saying something about being a licensed pursuant to act on behalf of parliament for public entertainment??

such as a school, who runs without an entertainment liscense if something happened?

Certainly if a school hires out its hall to an outside organisation it should have a licence. And I think that, under the new regulations, it should have one if it puts on its own show and charges for tickets.

When I worked in a dance school (briefly, Thank God), we only sought an "occasional play licence" for each paid show (no bad thing - you get to build up a good relationship with your Environmental Health Officer if they're inspecting 5 times a year) - The local authority didn't think it was worth us getting an annual licence. Naturally, this meant that any hires for paid tickets required a licence, but (slightly bizarrely) not hires for conference/training events or free shows.

The guidelines suggest a flash rate of under 4 flashes per second.

This appears rather low in a club environment?

It is very low. The top end is also at 50fps which is as good as fully on. Certainly you won't get the 'stop motion' effect at 'allowed' rates. Guidance does allow other flash rates to be used for 'momentary theatrical effects'.

• 4 years later...
Apologies in ressurecting a thread from the dead, but this is linked from the FAQ in the safety forum, and the link in the original post just 404s, and currently doesn't help with answering a question!

• 1 year later...

Archived