General Lighting Rig

Jimbo The Wiz

Hi all,

Questions

1) I need a lighting desk. Defiantly a memory desk, possibly with the facility for moving lights and 24 channels. Any options with a budget of £1,500

2) I'm looking for a 2-4 profiles with a fairly tight budget. Any opinions

3) Also looking for dimmers (probably 2 sets of 6 way double socket 15AMP dimmers with DMX inputs). I have a maximum budget of £1,000 what are my options.

4) Scan wise are there any alternatives to Martin and High-end that could be a little cheaper.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Info.

I've been given the responsibility of looking for a new lighting set-up for a place called the "Queens Hall" which is in the process of being refurbished. Lighting wise itís in a pretty paroling state at the moment with an only:

1x) Strand Coda 4

4x) 650W Stand Fresnels

Admittedly these give a large enough wash because the stage is not very large but give absolutes no versatility.

Also there are huge problems with the way they are set out. The Coda is on dimmers but only a small portable pack with not analogue or digital output for a desk. Whatís more "shock, horror" the 4 fresnels have been put on household dimmers which I am sure is unsafe and offers nothing in the way of control. There is also no lighting desk and the lights are at the moment only capable of being used where they are.

--------------------------------------------

My Requirements.

I have decided that with a budget of £2000-£3000 I will keep the original fixtures and refurbish them. I will also invest in new dimmers (probably 2 Zero88 Chilli Jr) and a lighting desk (not sure on this yet) also some more lanterns possibly a few profiles (again not sure) then thereís the general wiring and cables and rigging with 2 more scaff bars, one upstage and one just behind the proscenium arch.

Okay well first off, I'd recommend the Zero88 Fat Frog over any other desk for your purposes - it seems ideal. 24/48 generics, plus 12 movers. If you require more movers, the Leap Frog would probably just about fit into your budget too.

Regarding profiles, the main industry standards are either ETC Source 4's or Strand SL's. The both come in fixed angle (5, 10, 16, 26, 36 and 50 for Source4- I assume SL's are similar) and zoom (15/32 or 23/50 for SL) models. The Source4's also come in a Jnr Zoom version, which is very effective for its price.

Regarding Dimmers, Zero88 Betapacks are fairly standard. Strand also do a "Dig6". Take a look at the second hand stock lists of various manufacturers and resellers - AC Lighting have a large second hand section listed on their website, here.

Regarding Scans, you could try looking into some of the cheaper Disco stuff - Terralec have a few listed on their website. Other manufacturers used include Clay Paky.

For the whole of your listing, I'd recommend looking at the ex-demo and second hand listings. You can get some great bargains - for the scans, try ebay.

Well I defintely agree with the recommendation of the Fat Frog - a brillant little desk at a brillant little price.

However I think Source Four or SLs (however good they are) is a little overkill for your venue as they cost the good part of £350-£400 new, and about £250 second hand - this could swallow up your cash very quickly - how about some Strand Cantata 26/44s which are on AC Lighting for £100 - with Lamp, Hook Clamp and Plug - bargaintastic!

AC also have some Martin MiniMacs for £225 at the mo - once again Bargaintastic - better than a couple of cheapy scans.

You might also want to think about some Parcans (64 or 56) for rock stuff?

By the way, how is all of this going to be powered?

IDEAS

1x Fat Frog - £1,267.50

2x Zero 88 Betapacks - £335 each (£670)

2x Martin MiniMac - £225 each (£450)

4x Strand Cantata 26/44 - £100 each (£400)

Stu

Sorry Stu, but I dont quite see how you get the figure of £225 for the MiniMacs at AC lighting.

As I can see it the list price is £995.....?

Maybe I am missing something here.

David

From the AC listings:

2nd hand MiniMAC Profile moving yoke c/w lamp £295.00

Ex demo MiniMAC Wash moving yoke c/w lamp £295.00

Whilst we're on the subject, this is an utterly bargaintastic deal:

Ex rental Package of 2 Mac 600 moving yoke, lamp & twin flightcase £2,300.00

Sorry Stu, but I dont quite see how you get the figure of £225 for the MiniMacs at AC lighting.

As pointed out by Peter they are £225 second hand - I should have mentioned that, sorry mate!

And I've just realised I read the price wrong, they are in fact £295 - still a good deal tho I thinks...

Stu

Whilst we're on the subject, this is an utterly bargaintastic deal:

Ex rental Package of 2 Mac 600 moving yoke, lamp & twin flightcase £2,300.00

It may well be a good deal if the units are in good nick - but don't forget that many rental companies have had Macs in their hire stock for five years or more, so if these are units that have been heavily used for that kind of period of time you'd have to make sure that the maintenance on them has been absolutely tip-top over the course of their life, otherwise you might end up with a pair of glorified counterweights in a flightcase.

Having said that, though, I'd imagine that anything coming second-hand out of AC Lighting will have had a thorough once-over before coming through the door, and you'd be highly unlikely to end up with sub-standard kit from them - and I'd imagine there'd be some sort of limited (30-day? 90-day?) warranty with the equipment ....

It's probably far safer buying second-hand this way, through a reputable dealer, than direct from the previous owner who just wants to get the kit out of the door as quickly as possible and sells it on a 'sold-as-seen' basis.

These price's from AC Lighting are good, but please remember all price's you need to add VAT to the prices, unless IIRC you are an educational establishment(school) or VAT registered. (I am no expert on VAT)

Gareth

(I am new and this is my first post, forums are looking good.)

dont put through rcdifoyu can helpit though

might get sound interferance

Eh? How do you work out that an RCD is causing noise on your audio?

Apart from that, if there's noise on your PA, removing your earth leakage protection to cure it is a fairly silly idea - it harks back to the days when everyone thought it was fine to cure buzzes by lifting earths here, there and everywhere.

Archived