Active/Passive/Powered Speakers

Bobbsy

In another thread (I hope he doesn't mind me quoting) MarkPAman has given the following definition of Active, Passive and Powered/Unpowered speakers:

Active = Separate amp for each part on the system (eg. Bass, Mid & High)

Passive = One amp driving full range

Powered = Amp built into the speaker.

Unpowered = Amp is not built into speaker

Note that a speaker can be both active & powered.

I've heard this definition before used by respected people in the industry. However, I've also heard people who know what they're talking about describe things more as follows:

Passive Speakers: constructed without inbuilt amplification and not needing their own mains supply

Active Speakers: contructed with an inbuilt amplifier or amplifiers and requiring a source of mains for this to operate. Within this defintion, there are subgroups of "bi-amped", "tri-amped" and so on, indicating how many separate amplifiers there are to handle the various drivers within the cabinet. In this instance to say "powered speaker" would be really just a synonym for "active".

As I say, I've heard both versions from people in the industry, though I've tended towards the second one myself. However, Mark's post has me curious enough to ask which version the majority of Blue Roomers would use?

Bob

Passive Speakers: constructed without inbuilt amplification and not needing their own mains supply

Active Speakers: contructed with an inbuilt amplifier or amplifiers and requiring a source of mains for this to operate. Within this defintion, there are subgroups of "bi-amped", "tri-amped" and so on, indicating how many separate amplifiers there are to handle the various drivers within the cabinet. In this instance to say "powered speaker" would be really just a synonym for "active".

Hi Bob,

I'd be inclined to agree with that. People often talk about passive and active crossover networks, and in relation to a box with an amplifer or two (or three), the nature of the crossover would perhaps determine what is indeed "powered" and "active". I do agree with your notion of a "passive" box.

As a brief example of the above- Monacor do an amp module, which flush fits into the back of a "passive" box, by the addition of a jig-sawed hole to suit. In this case I'd agree that the box created was "passive" but "powered". Perhaps, on examination, I do agree with Mark's sentiments.

Cheers

Rob ;)

Interesting...

I've not noted the active / passive terminology used, its always been passively crossed or bi-amped / tri-amped.

Speakers with amps in them are powered (loud)speakers, as opposed to just (loud)speakers

Interesting...

I would go with MarkPAman's definition. That would seem to me to be the most accurate.

You're perfectly correct in saying that some of these terms get used interchangeably (is that a word???) and can often lead to confusion. Have found myself having to stop and think quite often when discussing such topics with customers.

One other part of the definition to throw in the mix - a Passive loudspeaker uses a passive crossover network to split the signal between the drivers. An 'Active' loudspeaker relies on a powered, electronic crossover to split the signal prior to the amplification stage. This is regardless of whether or not the amplifier is housed within the loudspeaker cabinet.

With regard to the 'bi-amped/tri-amped' definition, this can also relate to loudspeaker with amplifier both inside and outside the box. For example, active monitors (as spec'd on tour riders) are normally boxes designed to be bi-amped but require 2-channels of amplification and an active crossover unit that are separate to the unit.

So, I would personally go with,

Passive - passive crossover network in the box

Active - requires electronic crossover and separate amplification for each driver.

Powered - amplifier built into the loudspeaker cabinet.

That was quite good. Think I understand it all myself now... ;)

Steve

To me, it's:

Speaker with amplifier in it = Powered

Speaker with no amplifier in it and requires separate amps = Unpowered (though I never call them unpowered, I just call them speakers)

System with a crossover unit, sending low, mid, high signals to 2 or 3 different amps = active (aka Bi-Amped and Tri-amped)

System with one amp driving all the speakers where the chain goes (usually) Amplifier --> Sub --> Top, for example, is a passive system because the crossover is not controllable, it's just set in place and thus passive as it's kinda laying dorment so to speak.

However, you can get powered passive (Mackie Active stuff? - see below), powered active (some Meyer stuff), unpowered passive (eg a pair of SX300s) and unpowered active (Bi or Tri ampable type thing)

I think part of the difference in terminology is a UK vs US thing, and partly a manufacturer's thing especially in the studio monitor land. For Example Genelec 8040A (where A = active), Tannoy Reveal A, Dynacord 6A, Mackie 824 and 624s etc etc. They're all marketed as Active Studio Monitors.

Then the Mackie Active 450s and 350s and the Active Subs came out, amongst other brands - now, are there multiple amps in the 450s and 350s driving the separate drivers? I'm not sure, but would be interested to know.

My thoughts are that manufacturers have muddy'd the water.

So naturally, alot of people (mostly new-comers) call powered speakers, "active" even if there's just one amp in them. Because they're plugged into the wall for power.

So I generally don't assume anything any more, I make sure I know what they're referring to first.

I've even found myself calling powered speakers, "active" and then getting really annoyed with myself.

Sad eh? (Don't answer that).

Well, those are my tired and probably muddled words. But hope that made some sort of sense.

Si

In another thread (I hope he doesn't mind me quoting)...................

Not at all, I feel honoured! http://www.blue-room.org.uk/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

I feel that "my" method should less confusing (though it isn't as there are two methods)

An active system will need an active crossover (before the amps), a passive system will use a passive crossover (after the amp).

Powered & un-powered are obvious and can not really have any other meaning.

I will often also use bi-amped and tri-amped to describe a system (though the next one would be four-way no quad-amped).

I get very confused by things like "passive bi-amped system"

To me, it's:

Then the Mackie Active 450s and 350s and the Active Subs came out, amongst other brands - now, are there multiple amps in the 450s and 350s driving the separate drivers? I'm not sure, but would be interested to know.

Both are powered active (bi-amped) systems, becoming triamped if you add the sub. ;)

I get very confused by things like "passive bi-amped system"

Yeah, I see what you mean by that one! ;)

Maybe that means a sub and a top, where the top is a mid/high but with a passive crossover within it between the mid and high drivers. Otherwise it might be a tri-amped system.

They probably meant to say "unpowered bi-amped system" or something like that.

Well pointed out.

Seems stupid, but ive always thought "Active" had a double meaning, as in it ment powered or bi/tri amped.

I don't really use the word powered - except, for some reason, when refering to powered monitors. I guess I've just got used to it.

Chris.

I tend to think of "active" not so much having a double meaning, but being applied to different things.

With Bi/Tri amped systems, you have an active crossover rather than a passive one.

With self-powered speakers, its the speaker that is active rather than passive.

I suppose an active speaker could be bi/tri amped, and therefore have an active crossover inside it. But from a practical point of view, thats fairly academic really. Whats important to the guy using (as opposed to buying/selling/talking about) the speaker is what it needs putting in, and what comes out.

Sean

x

But from a practical point of view, thats fairly academic really. Whats important to the guy using (as opposed to buying/selling/talking about) the speaker is what it needs putting in, and what comes out.x

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose

By any other word would smell as sweet."

So I could call my speakers Romeo and Juliet, and, they would work the same, and I would still know how to plug them in. It would, however, make any sensible conversation about them impossible. What we should have, but have not got, is a standard term that everyone understands to mean the same thing.

Since it is the word "active" that seems to be the problem, maybe we should not use that at all (for speakers), and stick to passive / bi-amped / tri-amped and powered / unpowered. Hmm still got "passive" in there. Don't like that either.http://www.blue-room.org.uk/style_emoticons/default/dry.gif

hi,

I definitely fall into the MarkPAman group. but like Mr.Si I also slip up and call powered "active" 'cos of those Mackie lovin' freaks invading my brain.. note to self.. don't remove tin-foil hat or fingers from ears whilst in company of club DJ's and marketing managers.

spike

Thinking about it, I suspect that Mr. Si may have nailed it with his comment about the studio monitor market. It's far more common there to refer to any powered speaker as "active", even from the manufacturers themselves. Since my career has flitted between studio (TV studio that is) and live, that's probably why I'm more schizoid than some in mixing my useage!

Bob

With self-powered speakers, its the speaker that is active rather than passive.

Just because a speaker is powered does not mean it is automatically "active". Some loudspeaker manufacturers just add an amp to an existing passive enclosure and use it to drive the internal passive crossover. This can facilite the use of powered and unpowered boxes together with no worry of them sounding different.

Archived