Looking for reliable CD- Deck

Crash_Override

I'm looking for a CD deck that can handle CD, CD-R, CD-RW. That have tunable button for selecting tracks. It would be great if it had CD-Text function, Auto pause would be great too. I thought that maybe I could get one that reads MP3 too but this would make the CD player slow I think? Must have phono(RCA) out.

I was looking something from Sony, Pioneer. Main thing is that it has to be reliable.

I looked at Sony SCD-XE597

Two questions:

What does the PEAK search too?

Cause our existing CD Deck has pretty high output level, even when Gain is turned to Zero, the output level will be all-most in red when it's on PFL. Then I think changeable output level would be nice on CD deck.

You are aware that the sony is a domestic Player, not built for pro use? You really need to be looking at least Numark. Do you want a single or a Twin deck?

Even this thing is not a true pro unit, but it will last longer that sony, especially in a school.

The only sony devices I have ever used in theatre and gigging is some of there Mini Disk player, but I still prefer Tascam over there's!

Truly you want too be looking for Dennon if it is going to be in a school, as chances are it is going to get a hammering. And a domestic light weight Cd player wont last.

HTH

Rich

Is this going to be a stand alone unit or is it going into a rack and be transported about? Pro CD players (ie. Tascam) will probably set you back between £400-£600 new, have a look here. Cheaper decks will be vulnerable to having their transport damaged etc.

The output levels are high because you are using line out level as has been discussed in this forum before. Some pro units have a choice of line out or balanced XLR out.

Peak Search scans the whole disc or track for the highest peak of music level.

what's the budget?

so is this one for the playback rack by the mix position, or is it for a DJ use, because mention of the word "Neumark" means DJ to me.

if it's not for DJ use then my I suggest the HHB Burn-it 830 CD deck (it's also a CR-RW) - I have one and it's nice and reliable for me.

In my opinion those Numark and Burn It decks sound terrible, if it doesn't need to be racked and wont have heavy use then I suggest you do buy a very good quality domestic desk.I have used both those types of deks extensively and also a domestic Sony desk.The domestic Sony beats them hands down on sound quality and has lasted 4 years intact on the road! Best place to look is eBay, you get a decent one for £50 secondhand.

Sim

If its staying in one place all the time then you may not need a rack mountable unit. Admitedly you get what you pay for. reliablility and overall features and quality wise. I shouldn't see a problemwih the better domestiv ones. providing they have th features you require. most will play CDR and CDRW. some mp3. this does make the load time a little slower as you mentioned.

As for peak search. to go into a little more detail about it.

Basically it quickly scans the cd in the drive for the loudest part on the cd, it then plays this part looped. You can then adjust level meters for recoring or playback purposes so this part doesn't clip or cause overload etc. A handy feature really. Not something that can be used very well during show time of course.

As for inputs to a desk you would need to go through the line input sockets on the desk.

Rob

In my opinion those Numark and Burn It decks sound terrible, if it doesn't need to be racked and wont have heavy use then I suggest you do buy a very good quality domestic desk.I have used both those types of deks extensively and also a domestic Sony desk.The domestic Sony beats them hands down on sound quality and has lasted 4 years intact on the road! Best place to look is eBay, you get a decent one for £50 secondhand.

Sim

Well I'd like to say that in my experience going back quite a way is that the HHBs, which tend to often be marantz chassis under the purple panel are VERY good sounding pieces of kit. I can't comment on Numark, but DJs seem to like them and subtlety of sound isn't high in the DJ list of requirements, but tough is!

The HHB is a professional product, and while a domestic deck may sound similar, it doesn't do the same things. All that said, the OP didn't say anything about burning, so the extra expense of a quality product like the HHB isn't needed. If the thing is for school use, then guarantees won't mean much as the damn things get broken or stolen far more often than actually going wrong, and it's simpler to just buy a new one if it dies. Why not even buy a cheap DVD player from a supermarket - they'll play CDs, mp3s, vcds etc and a probably cheaper than a budget hi-fi model.

The HHB I had survived far more mistreatment than it deserved, only finally dying when dropped over a ledge onto a concrete floor 10 ft below after working really, really hard. When I need another recorder that doesn't object to copying between machines by not having scms, I'll get another.

If you want the deck purely for playback (ie. you're not planning to try cueing effects from it), and it's going to be looked after carefully, and does not have to be rack-mounted, I would suggest you choose a good domestic machine - A Sony or Marantz. This is likely to have better D/A converters than a 'disco' type unit such as a Numark.

FWIW I have had a Sony domestic cd player in my FX rack for a couple of years and it has become unreliable . IMO domestic players do not like being moved about especially not by hairy arsed roadies . So , if you intend moving the cd player a lot then buy a professional unit . Finally if you buy professional get a machine with anti-shock .

Archived