Small pa for solo musician

Andy Woodford

I've asked this question on a couple of forums but noone seems to have experience of the systems in question. Any views or guidance much appreciated. I own a Nexo PS8 setup for smallish gigs (PS8 amp 2 x tops + LS400 sub)

Whilst it's great for it's size, I do mainly male vocal and piano and never quite got on with the system in this application. It's overly bright & doesn't seem to handle the low mids convincingly (which is where a lot of the action is). My signal chain and sound sources are overspecc'd so I know the're not the issue.

Anyway,were I to upgrade, I'd need something as portable but which can give the kind of full range, h-fi, presentation which I had hoped for from the PS8's. Having looked around, the Kling & Feitag CA1001 is a very attractive prospect (received good comments on this forum) and fits the budget of funds available after selling the PS8. Sub not a priority and can always upgrade if needed. PS10's also a possibility?

Does anyone think this is worthwhile upgrade given the quest for the best possible sound (for that small gig wow factor) or am I in the land of diminishing returns. Would be interested to hear views fromanyone with experience of either of these systems (I did look at d&b but that's divorce territory price wise- the K&F is sleeping on the couch territory but hey, I can live with that if it does thejob)

I would take a listen to the Fohhn Xperience II or Xperience III systems. More laid back sound than the Nexo and d&b systems but the top end is still crisp enough to carry the vocal definition. The reviews have described them as sounding like ' a big hifi '. Possibly exactly what you are looking for. Very portable too.

Steve

I replaced my Turbosound/JBL dinosaurs with some of the RCF powered speakers. Fantastic! I'm using a pair of these and one of these (I'll add a second one soon) for FOH, and a pair of these for rear surround.

I was amazed how great they sounded, even the little 10" ones. I A/B tested them against Mackie, and there was no comparison. The Mackie stuff was harsh and fatiguing, and the subwoofer muddy.

The RCF really does sound like a giant hi-fi.

Just a Quick one straight outof left field. If it is small/medium gigs you are doing. I was rather surprised in the sound of the Bose L1 system . The sound,size and concept are great for the solo performer and not outragiously priced.

Check it out

if you like d&b.. then try second hand market: can pickup C6's for under £900 each and EPAC amp's (v2) for under £400 each.

but if you've already got nexo, think you should definitely try PS-10's. I've generally had good results for guitar & vocal, albeit needs a bit of work in the 400, 2k5 and 4k areas.

was also pleasantly surprised by tannoy V300. nice balanced tone for a mid-priced box.

sorry can't comment on K&F, but would also like to hear other peoples experience.

Wow - 4 more replies than I've had elsewhere. Looks like this is the forum. Am currently following up on responses via searching the interweb/reviews feedback to get to shortlistings for auditioning.

Thanks all (& if anyone has an opinion on the K&F's..)

I've used the smaller K&F cabs quite a bit (I carry the Ca106, Ca1001 and SW115 in rental stock)

The Ca1001 is a really nice box - it works best with the C5 controller (especially as a full range box) but this is by no means essential.

It sounds a little thin on its own (there is only so much bass a 10" can produce) but becomes a lot more "solid" with the controller

Its reasonably light and compact - power rating is given as 250W but it'll comfortabley handle way, way more power when used as a top-box.

I've used the Ca106s & 1001s mainly for corporate AV and for a number of small-scale musicals (I'm drafted in to do sound for a few local am-drams).

The AV is not that demanding sonically - but having a reliable, neat, compact system doesn't hurt

I was very pleased with the way they performed for vocal re-enforcement, I got the 4 Ca1001's off VME as a demo and they never went back!

I'd used Meyer UPAs and D&B C-series in the same locations and the K&F beat them on sonic performance and were much easier to handle and rig.

I found it very easy to get a good sound - I've had a lot of good comments on the sound at the events I've used them on

I would definitely put them high on the list for your app

Whereabouts are you based?

Ian Cunningham

Solus Technical Services

Thanks for that Ian. Based in Norwich. Going purely by price, better than D&B & Meyer for something significantly cheaper is very attractive. If I stretched things a bit, the active version is a possibility, would that resolve any compromises from running without a controller?

Would be interested if you know of any likely second hand sources although I suspect these are like hens teeth.

:nerd: - Needless repeat of entire previous post removed.

I'll clarify further on that comment - The Meyer UPA1-P's were clumsy to hang as they did not come with flying frames and their dispersion was not ideal for that room (100x40) - they do sound nice but could not cover that room. I don't know if I had a faulty pair but I had to wait 10s after powering them down to kill the desk otherwise I got an almight BANG from the speakers

The D&B was undoubtably good - sonically there wasn't a huge difference between the C690s and teh Ca1001s (bear in mind this was some months apart). Subjectively the D&B seemed harder and less musical - although probably more honest of the source (I remember an Opus demo that revealed just how badly a song had been recorded/mangled)

The C690 + frame is quit a bit heavier than the Ca1001 - its not unmanageable but its pushing a one-man lift at times.

Todays gig was a talent(less) show for a local school where the 1001s and SW115s were absolutely caned - to be honest the PA was too small for the gig/hall but they did well

The active versons have a Powersoft amp module and a built in filter set and output sense - these filters don't give the full functionalilty of teh C5 controller but cover the audio aspects. - I would check but I think that no C5 is needed

Secondhand I don't know about - they're pretty new to the UK so I doubt many are on the market

Ian Cunningham

Solus Technical Services

quote removed - paul

• 2 years later...
I would take a listen to the Fohhn Xperience II or Xperience III systems. More laid back sound than the Nexo and d&b systems but the top end is still crisp enough to carry the vocal definition. The reviews have described them as sounding like ' a big hifi '. Possibly exactly what you are looking for. Very portable too.

Steve

Hi Stevie. do you think the fohhn experience 3 would take some kick drum and a bit of di bass? I`m looking to buy a system for 90% solo work and 10%band???

I'd try PS10s. Or Opus MP400s (not sure how these compare price wise). Would be fantastic!

Yes, I would definately try out the PS10 system, it sounds the perfects option. im currently using a PS10 system (Pair of tops, sub and nexo controller amp) the sound is amazing, plenty of depth on the vocals even eithout the sub. Im solo and sing with backing tracks, I use the tops in small venues like lounges and pubs, then bring along the sub in concert rooms, holiday parks ect. the tops on their own are very well balanced with plenty of low mid, although the lack any punch when it comes to the backing tracks, but at the end of the day its a 10" speaker!

all in all, tops weigh 15kg each, they are physically tiny and they will definately offer more of a warm vocal sound than its little brother.

Where you based? You could come hear them, try them? :(

Archived