Sound Lab 4 channel dimmer

PAL lighting

They do, they are a little strange - I have a couple, and the labelling on the outside of the unit is against the norm, although IIRC inside mine there are a pair of resistors on the inputs which are crossed, to invert the polarity so that it follows the marking on the outside of the unit. So it would appear that the circuit was designed with the conventional input, the box was marked incorrectly, and the circuit was modified to fit. As a fix you could swap the resistors back and scratch the markings off the outside.

If they're the dimmers I'm thinking of (4x IEC output, analogue and DMX in/out, 16A breaker on the top panel), then it's actually ludicrously simple to swap them over to the correct phase.

Open them up, and follow the cable from the XLR connectors to the control PCB. There's a header here that isn't fixed down - centre is common, the outside two wires are data +/-. Unplug this, turn it 180 degrees... sorted.

I had some similar units, I think branded differently. If I remember correctly I opened them up and resoldered the cables that connected to the pins on the DMX 'in' and 'out'.

Jon

Which model of dimmer is it?

If I remember correctly, they use a reversed polarity from the norm on the DMX connector - so try making up an adaptor cable that swaps pins 2&3

on the soundlab ones I used the XLRs were pcb mounted

Indeed they are phase reversed - bit like Martin kit from days gone by :huh:

Apart from the phase reverse thing, a pretty decent bit of kit considering they're Soundlab <_<

Archived