IEM headphones

wee_merv

Hi guys,

I do a bit of sound work but mostly I just like good sound,

I have a pair of Sennheiser CX300 earphones and have had them for a few years and they are great for what you pay for them.

Really I am looking for a good pair of IEM earphones similar to wrap around ones that are used by bands and monitor engineers. Just asking if anyone has any suggestions? I will be willing to spend about £150 or so but am open to other suggestions.

any input welcome

The 'wrap around' phones you've seen are custom moulded in ear monitors. My mid range acs t2s were about five hundred quid and sound ok. I'm looking to upgrade to jh audio jh11s or 13s which will be nearly double that.

If you'd like a decent set of generic in ears, the shure se215s aren't bad.

Most pro users use something like these but they are over your budget at £250 (tip - Boots Hearing Care do 10% discount in the UK). These are pretty much the cheapest custom IEMs available and only have a single driver. They do sound very good though and are all day comfortable to wear. These are what I have, double or triple driver IEMs are said to sound better but at a serious cost (ACS T1 triple driver cost £650). Being custom they require an impression of you ears to be taken from which the moulds are made. This do give a very comfortable fit with an extremely good seal which is essential for good bass response. If you can't justify the cost of these then the next best thing are Shure SE215s or SE315 with 'Comply' buds, I had the SE215s predecessor and they too sound very good (though the T3s sound better) but were nowhere near as comfortable for long sessions which was why I bought the T3s.

Too long spent typing http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

I suspect that's simply the result of having something in your ears. Moulds are great, but they are harder than skin, and wearing those and moving your jaw can gentle rub the skin, and they get sore. The squidgy foam has less to grip on so for some, depending on your ear shape, they work their way out, or sit nicely. The rubbery ones seem to exert the most pressure and on me, fall out. Moulds and squidgies seem to be reliable, But both annoy my ears after 4 or 5 hours. They also then encourage the production of wax.

Archived