The answer is NOT 42....

Ynot

Hmmm...

At the moment, I remain on the shelf a little, although clearly minds immeasurably brighter than mine have 'proven' this.

But apparently, 1+2+3+4+5+6+7+.... to infinity is NOT a huge infinitesimal result but in fact minus 1/12

Spend a few minutes watching this video and then tell me what you think.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-I6XTVZXww&feature=player_embedded

I found this really intriguing and spent a few minutes looking at this earlier and wondered about the conclusion that 2S2=1/2 ... Perhaps someone can explain...?

In the part of the calculation where you calculate 2 S2, they said you have to move the numbers along one so that 1+0=1 and -2+1=-1 etc. What confused me is that this is surely not 2S2, rather S2+(S2+1), as they've shifted the second S2 up one at any given point.

This I feel rather ruins the whole idea... I'm fairly secure in my wrongness but would like to know why?! :D

Edited for typo.

At the moment, I remain on the shelf a little, although clearly minds immeasurably brighter than mine have 'proven' this.

The natural numbers form a divergent series therefore the series cannot sum to a finite limit which is also a natural number(1). The big gaping hole in all of this is that the number he comes out with in the video with is actually a measurement function which has been applied to the series it is not the conventional algebraic sum of the series in any meaningful sense. That is not to say it's not useful. Assigning these values to the sum of divergent series is extremely useful and yields comprehensible results in several areas of physics.

(1) Well it can but not without adding this as a new axiom in your system of mathematics and therefore potentially invaliding all results based on the conventional axioms.

Er. Basically. No.

Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ces%C3%A0ro_summation

Unfortunately the internet has got hold of this and because Cesaro Summation has the word 'sum' in it, they have said that 1+2+3+....=-1/12.

As many other have and will say, the series of all natural numbers is clearly divergent. It doesn't approach an answer. In fact as you add the 'next' natural number in the series, the true sum actually changes by an ever increasing amount. Hence the series is divergent, and has no sum.

A Cesaro Summation is essentially a mathematical construct to enable mathematicians to deal with infinite series in a manageable way.

Archived