Installing stage light with Type M plug (Permaplug)

Marian123

Dear Light Professionals,

I am sorry for bothering you with this quite profane question, but I need help.

I am not working in the theater world, but do art exhibitions. For an upcoming show I have to install a spotlight in an church as venue. The spotlight I have is the CCT Minuette Profile 21-36 (http://www.walkersou...CT_minuette.pdf) and it has an 15 amp, type m plug.

I can't figure out, how to connect this plug to a normal uk plug socket, as it is impossible to find an adapter for this.

Could anyone of you gibe me a hint, how to get the spotlight working?

Thanks a lot in advance and again sorry, for this absolute beginner question.

Have a good day,

Marian

Find an electrician or other competent person to rewire your lamp with a 13A plug. From the language you use, I don't think you feel yourself competent to do so safely. 13A-15A adapter leads are not generally commercially available. This lamp is intended to work from a dimmer - the lamp life may be shortened if it is not faded up and down by a dimmer, however a standard household dimmer will be overloaded by this lamp. Note that this lamp will get very hot in use. Pay attention to the makers instructions regarding distance from lit object and clearances around lamp.

Peter

If the spotlight's yours, then just get somebody competent to change the plug.

If borrowed/hired then:

• Does the owner have an adaptor? I'd be surprised if they don't have one somewhere.
  • Just about any theatre/music orientated lighting company will be able to hire or sell you what you need. (Hire at under £1 per day)
  • Buy the parts & get a competent person to make an adaptor.

E2A eBay has this though I'd still want somebody to check the wiring of it when buying from an unknown supplier.

Making up an adaptor or changing the plug are both relatively simple but cant be recommended for the novice due to the potentially fatal consequences of a mistake.

You might be able to find on fleabay or in an old DIY shop, a ready made adaptor. Years ago 15 amp round pin plugs were widely used d0m3sticaly and adaptors to and from 15 amp were sold, you might find one NOS.

Thanks a lot for your help!!!

Find an electrician or other competent person to rewire your lamp with a 13A plug. From the language you use, I don't think you feel yourself competent to do so safely. 13A-15A adapter leads are not generally commercially available. This lamp is intended to work from a dimmer - the lamp life may be shortened if it is not faded up and down by a dimmer, however a standard household dimmer will be overloaded by this lamp. Note that this lamp will get very hot in use. Pay attention to the makers instructions regarding distance from lit object and clearances around lamp.

Peter

If the spotlight's yours, then just get somebody competent to change the plug.

If borrowed/hired then:

• Does the owner have an adaptor? I'd be surprised if they don't have one somewhere.
  • Just about any theatre/music orientated lighting company will be able to hire or sell you what you need. (Hire at under £1 per day)
  • Buy the parts & get a competent person to make an adaptor.

E2A eBay has this though I'd still want somebody to check the wiring of it when buying from an unknown supplier.

Making up an adaptor or changing the plug are both relatively simple but cant be recommended for the novice due to the potentially fatal consequences of a mistake.

You might be able to find on fleabay or in an old DIY shop, a ready made adaptor. Years ago 15 amp round pin plugs were widely used d0m3sticaly and adaptors to and from 15 amp were sold, you might find one NOS.

Adapters are available to buy on e bay...

http://www.ebay.co.u...ke/182414635134

You could always hire a follow spot single channel dimmer for around £10 a week. Have a ring round hire companies since you are in London.

Archived