Kenton GPIM-16 triggers

Hello Blue room forum. First time here, sorry if I put my question in the wrong topic.

I use a Kenton GPIM-16 unit to trigger sound in Qlab when a person presses a button. We have a massive amount of these triggers in our venue. Recently I added a new one and it works fine during the day when it's quiet but during the show sometimes it triggers itself. We have been using Cat5e cabling for the contact closure with a momentarily button (Note on-Note off) and it's been fine except on this one. This cable runs near some high voltage lines (Lx and power supply) and I am wondering if that's the problem? Any of you had issues like this before? The cable is good quality and the connection is done properly. Thanks in advance if there's any info you can share. 

I'm not familiar with the unit but I see there is a debounce setting. First thing I would do is increase that. As you are using human button presses it probably won't matter if you set that to the maximum.

If that doesn't work then you might need to put a capacitor across the offending input at the 9pin connector. The unit only uses 4k7 pull-ups to 5volts so there's a lot of improvement you could make to that. Just decreasing the pull-up to 470 ohms woul be a good start. Beyond that you're looking at providing some sort of signal conditioning.

Edited by DrV
  • Like 2