Behringer X32 failure - known fault or anomaly?

iDan

Out of curiosity...

I was watching a non professional show the other day and the sound engineer experienced total loss of power at the desk - a Behringer X32. Since I knew the guy I went and offered to help, since he didn't appear to have a second tech with him. We tried the obvious - swapping the IEC, checking the fuse at the extension reel that it was plugged into and checking the RCD at the wall. Nothing else was affected so it seems it was an internal failure in the desk itself. I should point out that the desk was on hire, so I can't speak to its condition or maintenance history. 

Just wondering, since I'm potentially hiring one of these for a show in June, is this a known fault with the X32 or just a one off as far as we're aware?

Sometimes electronics die. The first X32's hit the shelves 10 years ago (June 2012 IIRC) - and some people had them prior to general release. They were insanely popular. So the desk you were using could be anywhere from 1 day to 10 years old...

Touring kit/rental kit lives a hard life. 10 years in a roadcase is probably the equivalent of 25 years in a venue. Think about it, it gets thrown about, used by people who don't necessarily care about it, drinks spilled in or around it, vibrated in a truck, thrown onto shelves, left half in it's case when powered on so that it cooks in its own warmth...  electronics don't like that.

There are lots of things wrong with the X32, but there are still some that were first off the production line that are still doing rental gigs - so that's saying something.