Spansets over out of reach RSJ - or leave in permanently?

TomHoward

9 hours ago, TomHoward said:

The boomed down rigging points could work potentially. You can reach the bottom of the RSJs at the edges, but not the middle, you could fit clamps permanently but not from the Zarges if I could come up with a better way to attach to them out of reach.
It's a pitched roof with a central ridge which makes the beam clamps a little harder as the roof is about 15degrees off.

Currently I can only reach about halfway up the pitch which means I have about a 6-7m span in the middle I can't reach - my thought is if I put slings in permanently I'd get a scaffold tower out and fit some longer round slings in the middle to reach down to where I could reach them. Or if I find a way to get them over I can fit them from the ground / from a more reasonable ladder height.

So if you do as I said and have boom down rigging point manufactured, you can rig those to the beams once using a tower and then leave them up permanently.

Have them made 'staggered' so that they compensate for the roof pitch and all your rigging points are the same height, and accessible from a ladder.

Edited by dje

4 minutes ago, indyld said:

Did I miss why it isn't possible to get one time vertical access to these point roots and permanently put a beam clamp and drop a suitable length stinger down that can be reached every other time?

I took them as being:

- fear of the stingers swinging around when hit by a ball
- need for dismountable equipment to be inspected in case it is derigged and mixed up in lifting apparatus

Edited by dje

Go back a stage and the problem is that you don't have adequate access to work at height. The suggestions to use girder clamps to undersling the truss may or may not rectify that thus making it easier to rig and inspect but the root problem is getting up there, as far as I can see.

Anecdote time? We had to cross a river with a rope and one of the hippies appeared with a lifeboat maroon. Crossed the river OK, and the field beyond, and the woods on top of the hill and just missed the farmer ploughing 4 fields away. As they said to Harold; "You'll have your eye out playing with they bows and arrows."

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, dje said:

I took them as being:

- fear of the stingers swinging around when hit by a ball
- need for dismountable equipment to be inspected in case it is derigged and mixed up in lifting apparatus

For the latter, this could be mitigated by just using non-demountable methods instead. For the former, it sounds like a non-issue but could be solved with a paging system - as suggestions have already included various pulley based solutions. 

It seems to me that this is a repeated temporary installation method and so all the ideas I'd come up with for a one-time, 'we just gotta get the points in today', is not one that stands up to scrutiny from managing safely POV. Therefore, what is left is a permanent solution whether it be custom metal work, flexible steels, whatever. Or ideally a completely different work method for getting the points in each time e.g better access.  Ideally, with no vertical access needed at all. But let's not get ahead of ourselves.... 🙂

E2A: Kerry posted my initial thought on reading the OP while I was typing this!

Edited by indyld

I have used a bow and arrow in such circumstances, take care remembering that archery equipment was used to kill people in warfare until recently, and is still used to kill large game in some places. Wear a hard hat. the arrow may strike some obstruction and then fall almost vertically. A drone is a more modern alternative. 

Because the roof is pitched and because of lower level cricket net rails criss-crossing the room, a tower is really hard work in there as it needs deconstructing down to a point to get under the cricket nets, and with pitched roof needs top platform & section adjusting as you move around.. we have taken a Tallescope there before but it’s difficult to transport the Talle as it’s a job to deconstruct and hardly any smaller once you have.. generally take it assembled on a 16ft trailer which makes it quite a job. 

I think some linadaptor brackets and staggered length steels downwards could work. If they didn’t have heavy shackles left on they shouldn’t swing too dramatically if hit. 

Ironically one of the regular uses of the hall when we aren’t in is an archery group.. 

Edited by TomHoward

49 minutes ago, TomHoward said:

I think some linadaptor brackets and staggered length steels downwards could work. If they didn’t have heavy shackles left on they shouldn’t swing too dramatically if hit. 

Remember that for a pitched roof it'd normally be recommended to use high friction girder clamps. in the past I've used Type AF12s on pitched roof beams.

2 hours ago, dje said:

in the past I've used Type AF12s on pitched roof beams.

They look like a more modern version of something that I worked with many years ago doing installs, including with a well known UK rigging company that does complete flying system installs. The things were referred to as 'tusk clamps', I presume due to their shape. Can't find anything that looks like them via search, but not entirely sure what to search for. They definitely seemed to provide more surface area for friction than that of a common Lindapter (which were also used for other purposes). The clamps also worked better with non-perpendicular load as they held close to the flange and loading them at at angle didn't put any extra leverage or twist.

Depends on your use but would something using girder clamps be made, but with a swinging arm that relies on a ratchet type fixing?

The idea is similar to the type of bracket that holds a table that folds down. I’m imagining a boom arm that folds up and clicks to hold it out of the way, another push upwards clicks it so it hangs down. Hard for me to explain.

even something that allows a scaff tube with an eye on the end, but could be pushed using a TV focus pole to click into a Terry clip to store it out of the way?

11 hours ago, TomHoward said:

That’s true I hadn’t looked into linadaptors on a pitch yet. That may complicate it. Maybe I should just stick with the tennis ball and pulling a spanset over method 

high friction Lindapters are fine on a pitched beam. if it makes you feel better, just use more.