Installing new house lights - how to secure?

james3mc

I'd use 41mm strut across the top of the joists as you could just screw it down and wouldn't need the clamps.

Then boom down the studding off that, use a channel nut, a square plate washer on the outside and a lock nut tightened up against the square plate to clamp if back to the channel nut.

Put a drop of loctite on everything as a secondary safety (inc the two nuts at the fixture) and it's not going to come apart without some big spanners or heat

You can add an L bracket with a eye bolt on at the top and bottom of the studding if you really wanted or another method of attaching a safety between fixture and studding so secondary the fixings and just rely on the main length of studding once, but with loctite and bolts it's going nowhere anyway and is probably more heavily installed than any AC or false ceilings 

• Like 1

What @TomHoward said. Sounds like the defacto standard installation method that you would get from virtually any electrical contractor.

Also agree that the installation will likely be more heavy duty than most AC and suspended ceilings. I am pretty confident that were you to have this install carried out by a general electrical contractor rather than a theatrical one, safety bonds wouldn't even be a thought. Nobody outside the theatre industry puts M10 or M12 stud (breaking strength usually well in excess of a ton) on a 5kg fixture and thinks damn I best put a piece of wire on that in case the ceiling falls down

Edited by dje

On 2/13/2022 at 5:31 PM, dje said:

What @TomHoward said. Sounds like the defacto standard installation method that you would get from virtually any electrical contractor.

Also agree that the installation will likely be more heavy duty than most AC and suspended ceilings. I am pretty confident that were you to have this install carried out by a general electrical contractor rather than a theatrical one, safety bonds wouldn't even be a thought. Nobody outside the theatre industry puts M10 or M12 stud (breaking strength usually well in excess of a ton) on a 5kg fixture and thinks damn I best put a piece of wire on that in case the ceiling falls down

Indeed these days that does describe very standard contractors methods. But do we really think a fitting weighing a few polnds requires bracketry capable of a CWT? Do we think the overspecced bracket warrants the cost or the harder work?

For basic job like this I'd be expecting to use up the offcuts of studding from the other 'in house' jobs.

I haven't looked at the detail if the fixture but if there is a hole in the middle of the yoke I'd go for that size studding or the size down. Quite honestly these would be happy on something tiny like M4, The smallest studding I'd generally have in stock is M6. Yes I'd use threadlok if I didn't have Nyloc's to hand.

All of this is still pie in the sky until OP comes back.

Edited by sunray