Worst show I’ve ever worked on, what should I do?

11 hours ago, Junior8 said:

That's true of course but I think you just have to accept the unpleasant reality of bad debts that simply aren't worth chasing through any system, and that applies in any business. If they won't pay, and serial non-payers are shameless, they won't pay.

They only become serial non-payers if people let them get away with it. It might only be a small debt, and you might have no intention of ever working with that particular client again - but my take on it is that, aside from the debt they might owe to me personally, it's just as much about those who come after me. They might be less experienced youngsters at a much earlier stage of their career, lacking in the confidence and thickness of skin which might be required to drag a bad payer over the coals repeatedly until they see the light and do the right thing.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, dje said:

nobody does it on purpose.

I beg to differ. A quick Google for the activities of Kallum O'Sullivan and his 'company' KMD Productions at Theatr Ardudwy in Harlech last summer are proof that there are a very small minority who are simply out to defraud.

1 hour ago, gareth said:

I beg to differ. A quick Google for the activities of Kallum O'Sullivan and his 'company' KMD Productions at Theatr Ardudwy in Harlech last summer are proof that there are a very small minority who are simply out to defraud.

That name seens familiar, did he have something to do with a new ferry service?

15 hours ago, gareth said:

As far as I know, that was a scam, not a bad show. No show happened.

I still maintain that I know of no situation where a director has created a poor show on purpose and for the purposes of my comment, I think it is fair to assume that when you're having a bad time on a show that's not being well appreciated, you can generally assume the director did not create that situation through any kind of malice of conscience negligence. Art is just a thing which sometimes works out well and sometimes doesn't.

6 minutes ago, dje said:

As far as I know, that was a scam, not a bad show. No show happened.

You're right that no production actually took place here. But it was a scam nonetheless, and if he'd had the intelligence to carry it through without being found out, who knows how far he'd have got? Anyway, the good news is that he didn't have the required intelligence, and was rumbled before he managed to take it too far.

Well the point was I was trying to teach some young lad how to be more forgiving of directors whose eyes have been bigger than their ability. Not give off the impression that there are no scumbags in the theatre industry.

But thanks for your feedback.