B+E trailer tests

TomHoward

A recent example being a multi kayak carrier made with Dexion was stopped, initially because it had a wheel missing.

Someone who builds that sort of monstrosity isn't going to submit to an annual test, though. With very little enforcement happening, the odds of avoiding Plod are high enough that people will take the risk. I imagine you'd have to have separate registration plates on trailers that could be pinged via ANPR cameras.

I've had a skim of the report that Hippy very helpfully linked to. The authors recommend against introducing trailer MOTs, and can only find a handful of instances where it was the trailer/towing itself that directly caused an accident. Eliminating that is a poor return on an "investment" of £76 million.

,The authors recommend against introducing trailer MOTs, and can only find a handful of instances where it was the trailer/towing itself that directly caused an accident. Eliminating that is a poor return on an "investment" of £76 million

whitehall following the advice of experts and scientists? let me just check for levitating bacon.

Edited by themadhippy

whitehall following the advice of experts and scientists? let me just check for levitating bacon.

Bear in mind that they would also incur the wrath of the caravanning and boating fraternities. Without getting too political, I suspect they're a demographic that governments will tend to listen to.

• 2 months later...

And in another Johnsonian handbrake turn the changes in towing regulations due to take place on 15th November were pulled https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-rule...om-autumn-2021 without much of a fanfare. (Scroll down a bit on the link and you will find the announcement.)

This means that as it stands if you can't tow you can't get a test to tow either. 

• Bryson locked this topic