Preparing sound files for a theatre's technician

Watson

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's running on the free QLab, then there's only a basic stereo output available anyway. If the venue have a machine with an audio licence, I'd expect their tech to know how to very quickly set all the patching as required for their own system anyway.

That's what I was wondering about, Jon. Hopefully if a show was delivered to a sound tech on a stick that tech would be comfortable checking and if necessary repatching the audio. If it's only two channels, then I guess the repatch, if required, ought to be trivial.

Yes - I didn’t mention that before, you’d have a provide a folder which included both the qlab file and the source materials, but as covered Qlab will create this for you.

The source files aren’t kept within the qlab session file, but the file links are relative so if it’s all in the same folder it’ll work when transferred.

The patch is essentially only which sound interface is used for the output. It shouldn’t be a problem between venues on your own travelling machine, if a venue downloaded the file from online ahead of time they may need to change some settings to suit their local machines setup but they should be able to cope with that.

Also, there’s both the script and there’s a large “notes” section at the top of the qlab window, where you can expand on what’s in the script if you want.

Personally I always write the page numbers in the qlab cue names as well, and folder them all so all I have on the main window is one line for each actual Go needed.

A few things to be aware of if touring qlab:

1/ I would suggest making a "bundle" of the show after the first venue (through file->bundle) which will give you all the files in one place. Keep this on a usb stick totally separately to your computer (and ideally also on dropbox) so that if you have any issues with your laptop you have a decent backup. For venues who have qlab permanently installed email this through before you arrive and they can get it loaded on their machine

2/ Be really careful of plugging your laptop in with just the stereo jack to venue's mixers, I have more than once heard of people who's sound card has been fried due to the venue having phantom turned on - putting 48v into your laptop's sound card. I would suggest buying a cheap USB sound card or a DI box and connecting through this to protect your machine

3/ If you have live "dips" during the show these can still be programmed into qlab - you can insert cues which simply fade a running cue up or down as required. There are some great tutorials on the figure 53 website

Richard

A few things to be aware of if touring qlab:

Richard, thanks for your thoughts.

I would suggest making a "bundle" of the show after the first venue (through file->bundle) which will give you all the files in one place.

Why after the first venue and not in preparation for it? That way, if the venue does have QLab. they can load it into their own system as you suggest.Using the venue's own gear would also eliminate the risk of damage to my own laptop: that's a possibility I hadn't considered.

Keep this on a usb stick totally separately to your computer (and ideally also on dropbox) so that if you have any issues with your laptop you have a decent backup.

Yes, I plan to do exactly that.

If you have live "dips" during the show these can still be programmed into qlab - you can insert cues which simply fade a running cue up or down as required.

I hadn't realised that, but isn't it possible that the degree of level change would have to vary from venue to venue? Dependent on size, acoustics, and other factors? That's why I was imagining live manual adjustment.

There are some great tutorials on the figure 53 website.

Thanks; I've watched a few introductory videos on YouTube but until I actually have a Mac and the program itself to play with I haven't gone into more detail.

Edited by Watson

Basically open the settings tab, change Patch 1 to whatever output you're actually using, test it, then get on with the show. Simple and quick.

That sounds easy enough (as I say, I'm not a QLab maven).

I was thinking, for example, if the show came to our theatre, and the sound file was set up so left and right went out through channels 1 and 2. On our system, that is the far upstage FX speakers, the FOH L+R are on 5+6

It sounds, from what you say, that loading the show and tweaking the output should be a fairly quick job.

Edited by alistermorton

I was thinking, for example, if the show came to our theatre, and the sound file was set up so left and right went out through channels 1 and 2. On our system, that is the far upstage FX speakers, the FOH L+R are on 5+6

That's fixable too, though a little more involved and maybe quicker to do a quick desk repatch. In QLab, open settings, go to audio, edit audio patch 1, device routing tab then remap the matrix routing accordingly (you could even blend a little of QLab 1/2 into your 5/6 for foldback for example). The device routing is a grid matrix where each box on the matrix is a dB value - so downmixing/upmixing/blending across a whole show file is all quite quick to do.

It's worth bundling often, but I would expect that the first venue will be when you get the actual levels properly set and tweak timings so usually that will be the version you use going forwards.

Another thing to note is it's generally worth allowing a bit more time at your first venue to get the lighting and sound correct, and then always going back to the file from that first venue at each future venue, otehrwise you end up with a very messy file after a few dates.

It's worth bundling often, but I would expect that the first venue will be when you get the actual levels properly set and tweak timings so usually that will be the version you use going forwards.

That's a good point, thanks.

If you have live "dips" during the show these can still be programmed into qlab - you can insert cues which simply fade a running cue up or down as required.

I hadn't realised that, but isn't it possible that the degree of level change would have to vary from venue to venue? Dependent on size, acoustics, and other factors? That's why I was imagining live manual adjustment.

It might, but overall level might adjust more, and once the overall level is set per venue the hope is that the relative levels between cues (and faded sections) should hopefully be about accurate.

Having them on fade cues helps with the timings as well, so they can snap or fade as designed rather than relying on the live programming.

Changes are the operator will have the means to make overall adjustments if it's too loud/quiet but with Qlab it would still be conventional to program the major adjustments into the cue list as fade cues.

Damage to laptop, time taken to set up, familiarity of kit are all good reasons some venues might use their own Qlab setup if provided file beforehand. Depending on your ongoing involvement in the show it also means that any queries might be directed back to yourself (who programmed the Qlab file) when it is sent out, rather than being directed at the actor when presented with the laptop?

Thanks to TomHoward and AndyJones for the new replies and excellent advice.

I've now obtained a MacBook Air and have spent this evening trying to get to grips with the basic ins and outs of the operating system.

Tomorrow I plan to download and install Qlab and have a play around with it; everyone's suggestions and hints will be much clearer with the actual software in front of me, though I'm quite sure that I'll have more questions as I begin to find out just what it can do, I hope this is an appropriate place to ask them.

We've talked about the best ways to mark up cues in a script. It would be both interesting and very helpful to see some instances of how people here like to see this done: if anyone knows of good examples online anywhere, or perhaps wouldn't mind posting a page or two here, I'd love to see them.

Thanks again.

Edited by Watson