Tui offering work, but NOT to UK Passport Holders

paulears

I sometimes think to myself "FFS, people need to get a grip. We're only on day 31 of the new arrangements. Did people really think that everything would be to their liking on Day 1?"

“We have got to get past Brexit as crisis management. This is our way of trading for the next 50 years. It’s permanent. This is Brexit,”
The Chief Executive of the Cold Chain Federation.

He seems to think we may get these Day 1 teething problems sorted by Day 18,263.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the negatives we now have, I don't think I was aware of - I don't know why.

I like to think I make a reasonable effort to keep up with politics and current affairs. But I don't remember hearing any concerns about the Irish border situation until after the referendum.

"The public only pays attention to a tiny subset of issues that politicians and the media bang on about."..."Would we have won by spending our time talking about trade and the Single Market? No way" - Dominic Cummings Blog

Edited by itiba

Most of the negatives we now have, I don't think I was aware of - I don't know why.

I like to think I make a reasonable effort to keep up with politics and current affairs. But I don't remember hearing any concerns about the Irish border situation until after the referendum.

"The public only pays attention to a tiny subset of issues that politicians and the media bang on about."..."Would we have won by spending our time talking about trade and the Single Market? No way" - Dominic Cummins Blog

True. The whole vote leave campaign was very slick and built around one headline issue. Sadly, that headline issue was a lie.

“We have got to get past Brexit as crisis management. This is our way of trading for the next 50 years. It’s permanent. This is Brexit,”

He seems to think we may get these Day 1 teething problems sorted by Day 18,263.

That's cool. My children will be just retiring by then. Sunny uplands and all that.

I sometimes think to myself "FFS, people need to get a grip. We're only on day 31 of the new arrangements. Did people really think that everything would be to their liking on Day 1?"

The Uk & eu have published outline timetable for when current outstanding issues and renewal of agreed issues will take place; it covers the next 15 years with many of the elements that affect our industry not /expected/ to be addressed until 2030 so business’s that want to survive have to find a way to navigate the regulations and restrictions in place now because we are a decade away from anything close to the working options we had and gave up.

We’ve split in to two business’s for the two different markets. Many others are doing the same; if any business depends on working in both markets then it’s the only option if you want to survive.

True. The whole vote leave campaign was very slick and built around one headline issue. Sadly, that headline issue was a lie.

True but it was kicking at an open door. Let's face it for their own doctrinaire reasons quite large numbers of politicians on both side have been at best lukewarm about the EU for years and Corbin was useless from start to finish. And after all there's not exactly wholehearted support amongst the population in many member states. Personally I support both the ideals and the institutions but sadly many of the politicians and politcoes forming the public face are execrable examples of mediocrity.

Most businesses will simply have to go back to running subsidiary operations overseas like they often do outside the EU.

Edited by Junior8

True but it was kicking at an open door. Let's face it for their own doctrinaire reasons quite large numbers of politicians on both side have been at best lukewarm about the EU for years and Corbin was useless from start to finish. And after all there's not exactly wholehearted support amongst the population in many member states. Personally I support both the ideals and the institutions but sadly many of the politicians and politcoes forming the public face are execrable examples of mediocrity.

Most businesses will simply have to go back to running subsidiary operations overseas like they often do outside the EU.

Very true. The remain campaign was lacklustre and deserved to lose, having been run by a group of people that thought they couldn't lose.

Corbyn is a different kettle of fish. He's always been a leaver, but wouldn't admit to it whilst leader of the Labour party for fear of alienating the core Labour vote. However, by sitting on the fence like he did, he succeeding in alienating the core Labour vote and handed the Conservatives a landslide.

Fortunately for us, we set up a place in the Netherlands a couple of years ago to handle our European work. Sadly we've had to mothball it due to the pandemic, but we'll get it back up and running soon....

Corbin was useless from start to finish

corbyn was in a no win situation,vote to stay and be accused of going against democracy ,side to stay and be accused of not standing up to the torys.It didn't help that the mass media, funded by those with the most to loose if he had become pm, were against him from day 1.We wont mention the magic money tree that didnt exist but then appeared by magic in doris's back garden,or the unfeasibility of free internet for everybody that now is being discussed ,I best not go on as it could get rather political.

Back to what the effects are to us as an industry. Either set up a duplicate business in the EU or lose all that work and possibly face extinction. I'm self employed so I can't really do that. Happily for me I'm at an age where the main downside is that I can't live where I would like to in retirement but there is always South East Asia for that. World tours that picked up their kit and crew in the UK and used it all over Europe will do that in the EU and write one carnet for the UK so jobs and businesses go down the pan. I can't understand how anyone in our industry didn't understand that. I know people who have relocated their families to the EU to continue their careers because they didn't want a future as a minicab driver.It is done - hopefully the UK government will do deals in the back rooms to get this stuff going again but I'm not optimistic.The politicians don't understand how broken we are as a people, for them greed is everything.I used to like being British but now ...

If you think its bad now,wait until Scotland goes independent, the only place to tour without visas and carnets will be england and wales, you wont even be able to drown your sorrows with a large malt without paying extra tax :P Edited by themadhippy

t didn't help that the mass media, funded by those with the most to loose if he had become pm, were against him from day 1.

You credit the mass media with far too much power. In fact there really is no such thing as the mass media any more. For goodness sake the Mail only sells 1.1m a day these days at best only about 4m buy a daily paper at all. In most cases it's hardly worth running the presses. I agree the media were against Corbyn - but that wasn't his main problem. So were a lot of left supporting people his age, like me, who went through college or trade unionism or both with this sort of 'right on' political loonie and were fed up to the teeth with them then. The difference was that we grew up. He and his sort never have - though they find living on the public purse quite congenial.

Edited by Junior8

And, before this gets too political

Didn't we pass this point several days ago?

I usually apply the 'Crew Catering' test. As someone who seems to spend a lot of time in catering I've learned to pick up on when a conversation is starting to go where it shouldn't. And the art of good management is letting people blow off steam when needed but being able to draw a line which shouldn't be crossed.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________