Tui offering work, but NOT to UK Passport Holders

paulears

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm having to take it on the chin - I was wrong. I voted to leave. I had a choice and clearly made the wrong one.

Fair play for admitting that, I think you're about the only person on the internet that has.

Indeed. It takes a big man to admit he was wrong. Besides people shouldn't be vilified for voting leave. Many fell for the lies of the leave campaign and the years of anti-EU bias from certain sections of the media.

We've left, and regardless of which way we voted we have to get on and make the best of it.

Most of the negatives we now have, I don't think I was aware of - I don't know why.

I like to think I make a reasonable effort to keep up with politics and current affairs. But I don't remember hearing any concerns about the Irish border situation until after the referendum. Maybe it got buried in the campaigning beforehand, but it was in the days after the result that it came to the fore.

The devil is always in the details, and that's what we're all struggling with just now. I made a few big purchases from the continent, intentionally rushing them through ahead of what looked, at the time, like looming no-deal deadlines. I probably wouldn't have chosen that timing otherwise. Looking at the difficulties now, I'm glad I did.

It seams to me that whilst we don't have "no deal", we're only beginning to discover the ramifications of the deal that we do have. There are always going to be gaps in something this complex, especially when it was rushed through just before the deadline.

We need more people with an attitude like Paul's - we are where we are now, and we all collectively need to work out how to make the best of the situation. And we won't manage that if everyone stays in their entrenched opinions, arguing that black is white just because it suits an agenda from 5yrs ago.

I agree you have to make the best and suggest you all follow the advice of government ministers and shut down in the UK and move to the EU.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/23/brexit-hit-firms-advised-government-officials-set-up-shop-in-eu

'

I disagree that it is details, the idea of estranging ones economy from one's closest and largest market is fundamental and fundamentally crazy. People voted for estrangement and friction, barriers and borders. They may not have wanted that but to anyone old enough to know what it was like before we joined it was evident. If anyone thinks that making the best of things will work they might need to look at the timeline which shows us tied to EU terms and conditions until at least 2037.

Edited by kerry davies

My sister lives in France and she's always one to follow rules - so her car, the motor home and the motorbike all have French registrations and French insurance. They have a French medical card - all sorted before we even left the EU. Their friends who did the same, still have the UK reg number, the UK insurance and their NHS EU medical card. They're stuffed! They cannot get the car insured because it's British and they will have to import it into France legally to insure and licence it. They missed the boat and have to pay for medical treatment. They're also not officially resident, so the same status as the folk who come into the UK on the boats. They're squatting in a foreign country. Quite scary really!

the information was out there before the referendum.

I'll agree with you that there was lots of information around before the referendum - anyone could probably have made a full time job out of digesting it all.

What voters didn't know was what agreement would be reached with the EU if we voted to leave. Possibilities ranged from a cliff-edge no-deal to remaining in the single market and customs union. The latter option would have meant that very little would have changed in terms of equipment and crews touring around. The current situation is some way off a "no deal" but it's clear that there are lots of details which businesses didn't anticipate. Some of these difficulties could have been guessed at beforehand but the finer details of carnets and work permits did not make it into any party-political broadcasts.

I've got a lot of sympathy for companies that, in the middle of a pandemic, are having to adapt to the new rules, with barely a week's notice. A lot of the waste and losses that we have seen (e.g. lorry-loads of fish rotting, retail goods being burnt rather than returned) will be eliminated as companies find ways to deal with the situation. Some are setting up EU subsidiaries, some have simply ceased exporting altogether. The market is still there, though, so enterprising people will find ways to reach it at a competitive price.

For our industry, it's probably easier that the rule-change came when shows weren't happening. Having things change whilst tours were already out on the road could have been an utter nightmare to untangle.

This is a link to an online presentation by Stuart McPherson of KB Event, a large UK based event trucking company about the issues surrounding moving equipment into and around the EU post Brexit.

Stuart knows his stuff, and presents without drama or hysteria about the very practical issues that Brexit has caused. Well worth an hour of your time if you previously moved kit around Europe.

I don't recall the Irish Border being discussed at all during what was essentially Mr Cameron's failed attempt to deal with his own party, at least not publicly. In reality, though, this is just the last working out of Thatchers toxic legacy on Europe - which was sign every treaty while fog-horning against it. (I think the massive clear out of talent in the Tories in 1997 was also playing out too.) Yet it was obvious to any clear sighted observer that it would be a massive problem as indeed would all borders. I was maybe lucky in that I'd had 16 years dealing with trade issues and it was the impossibility of unwinding 30 odd years of market integration in less than say 30 years - even given maximum goodwill on either side - that put me firmly on the remain side. Any issues of principle - and there were many I think and they were real - paled into insignificance against that. What has been enlightening and startling in almost equal measure though has been the manifest ignorance of economic and commercial reality amongst the political classes across Europe. In this they are all IMHO guilty as sin. Edited by Junior8

I'm having to take it on the chin - I was wrong. I voted to leave.

Since the arts was always going to be one of the major victims, can I ask out of curiosity what attracted you to vote leave?

With regards to the original topic... personally I think it is probably a very badly worded advert. They probably mean they need people with EU passports, and British ones don't count. Simply stipulating they're looking for non-British workers isn't good enough. We may not have automatic work rights there anymore, but neither do a lot of countries.

Edited by dje

I sometimes think to myself "FFS, people need to get a grip. We're only on day 31 of the new arrangements. Did people really think that everything would be to their liking on Day 1?"

Yes, we had 4 years to decide what we wanted and didn't have to invoke article 50 when we did. We could have extended the time due to the pandemic. It is an entirely self made fudge that could have been avoided.

it was the impossibility of unwinding 30 odd years of market integration in less than say 30 years - even given maximum goodwill on either side - that put me firmly on the remain side.

Possibly the best description of how I feel about the subject