Affordable truss suspension

cedd

This mirrors my earliest (1969-71) experiences in what must rate as one of the worst multi-purpose community halls ever built. (That's a packed field I know but I'd still rate this one as an absolute stinker.) The fact is that once you turn your back you have no idea what is going on. In the end we took what was most vulnerable off site even if it was a few bits under a few domestic staircases and assumed that anything left usable next time was a bonus. We hired all the lighting in each time which was a help - something I'd probably still do now in a similar venue. Edited by Junior8

This mirrors my earliest (1969-71) experiences in what must rate as one of the worst multi-purpose community halls ever built. (That's a packed field I know but I'd still rate this one as an absolute stinker.) The fact is that once you turn your back you have no idea what is going on. In the end we took what was most vulnerable off site even if it was a few bits under a few domestic staircases and assumed that anything left usable next time was a bonus. We hired all the lighting in each time which was a help - something I'd probably still do now in a similar venue.

The groups lighting system was donated when one of the players passed away and her husband made a donation to the group with picture and plaque on the wall in memory.The stage area used to be a partitioned off area but it turned into a ttishy dumping ground. When the players group was formed [as a church group] the area was handed over to them for their storage and the shows were done at floor level, so profit and donations gradually paid for a raised stage, lighting and curtains, mostly constructed by the volunteers. I gather the original lighting was classic biscuit tins etc. The stage consists of a series of brick walls running down to up with joists running side to side and 6 pairs of lockable doors facing the audience. Gradually 4 of these have been taken over by other users, usually without permission but due to the fairly infrequent access by the players it has taken several months or more to be discovered and by then it's usually too late to grab the space back. Much of the stored 'stuff' is in plastic storage boxes on trollies so the whole of the 12ft length of storage comes out into the hall in one go, this time round whoever has broken in has emptied some boxes and stacked them to make space for theirs.