DMX timer

andysnow

Hi, I am a newbie here but I need some help with DMX. We are going to install 6 snow machines with DMX capability, the machines have a timer function built into them however the interval time is only 6 mins maximum! I want the interval time greater than 6 mins. I deally 30mins or 60 mins or even 90 mins every day. Does anyone know if this function can be achieved with a DMX controller that is reasonably priced. The machines only require 2 channels. I hope someone can help. Thanking in advance.

I've got some spare boards which could do that easily and the firmware would only need a minor tweak or two. Do you just need one? Do you need to be able to change the DMX address or could it be hard coded into the box?

There’s a lot of reasons why you don’t want / shouldn’t have snow machines running “automatically” because tiny problems can quickly become huge ones...

Anything you use should really have some sort of preset timer that specifically requires regular verification so that you still have the protection of an operator making sure there’s nothing going wrong.

Edited by ImagineerTom

There’s a lot of reasons why you don’t want / shouldn’t have snow machines running “automatically” because tiny problems can quickly become huge ones...

Anything you use should really have some sort of preset timer that specifically requires regular verification so that you still have the protection of an operator making sure there’s nothing going wrong.

Excellent advice. A box with a start and stop button which just provides a single burst of snow for a predetermined time.

the channels can remain the same. Would want the snow to come on at say 10am for 3 mins then come back on at 11am for 3 mins so every hour throughout the day!

I have been told by the supplier of the machines that this will do the jobthat this will do the job

Eurolite SAP-512 MK2 Standalone-Player but its expensive and does alot more than I need!

So a simple box that gives you 3 mins of snow when it is switched on and then again at regular intervals until it is switched off. Combine it with a simple plug in time switch

https://www.toolstation.com/axiom-24-hour-compact-mechanical-timer-13a/p65719

to save having to have a real time clock in the box (with all the complications of a user interface for setting the time). Doesn't provide for the advice from Tom though. You'd have to be very sure the machines could be relied on not to do anything stupid, or you'd need to make sure they were monitored on a regular basis.

Edit to add:

Actually on further thought, you would need to provide for isolating these machines overnight, and just allowing a time switch to turn them on in the morning would be risky so a better arrangement would be for the magic box to be powered by the same supply as the machines themselves. That way you need, at the very least, a human to switch them on and check they are working in the morning.

Edited by DrV

Snow machines empty their tanks faster than you think. Also the amount of residue they leave on the floor (If run on the hour every hour for many days) are both big problems that can turn in to massive problems. Any automation solution really needs to require daily inspections (and thus specific authorisation button press) as an absolute minimum. Dumping a few pints of caustic and slippery liquid over random members of the public every hour without some sort of supervision presents a lot of risk assessment problems....